May 2013 Weddings

Groom's Cake?

Are you ladies planning to have a Groom's cake? Almost all the weddings I have been to (in Ohio) have had a Groom's cake at the reception. I told my mom about this and she had never heard of it and didn't think it was necessary. I am kind of indifferent. Just wondering what you all think!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Groom's Cake?

• I am going to surprise my FI with a groom's cake.. It will be nice to have something there that is a fun reflection of his personality, because he has been just the right amount of helpful with all of this wedding planning :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • I won a free groom's cake at a bridal show last summer and initially, I was going to get it made for the rehearsal dinner. Now that we've chosen our RD location, we'll be doing dessert there, so instead, I'm getting 12 cupcakes made and using them for our post-wedding brunch. =)
  • I"m suprising my FI with one.  Its just something extra to show his personality.  I've been seeing it more and more so I don't think its  a southern thing anymore.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • We're doing one even though they're not really big around here. It's one of the few things my FI REALLY wanted- a PacMan cake. It works out well because it's going to be cupcakes and a bunch will be gluten free, which a chunk of my family needs because they have celiacs. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not doing one. I have never been to a wedding with one either.
    Proud 36yr old Mama of 3, expecting #4 - 8yrs after #3 :)BabyFetus Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • They're more common around here where I'm from.  My FI mom has taken it upon herself to get one made for the rehearsal dinner.  I have no idea what it's going to look like or be made of.  I'm considering having one made for the reception though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • I've seen them at rehearsal dinners up here, so I plan on surprising my FI with one that night!
  • We are not doing one and I don't really understand the concept. Shouldn't the wedding cake be for the bride and the groom? Why would there be an extra cake for the groom? Then shouldn't there be one for the bride as well?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I worked at a banquet center throught college and saw several weddings with them.  We are doing one, just a little differently. We are getting a traditional wedding cake, and then we are making a gluten free grooms for Us....or me to enjoy.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm having one... I love vanilla cake and FI loves chocolate... I don't want chocolate for our wedding cake, so we're going to do a chocolate Groom's cake (sheet cake)... And I'm going to surprise him with doing a Red Sox cake for the Groom's Cake since he's a hardcore Sox fan... My family is diehard Yankees, so I want him to just have a little something Red Sox for the wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

May 2013 - January - Cake Inspiration!
  • I really haven't thought about it.
    Maybe I'll surprise FI with one, who knows.

May 2013 January Siggy Challenge
    Cake
    my read shelf:
    Becky's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2013-weddings_grooms-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:ea657a87-d1dc-4588-999f-31c9deeef720Discussion:7591a9ce-0e18-44a5-9ab3-9fa5dd1561d8Post:24e52383-7edd-411a-8102-657f4c36995b">Re: Groom's Cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are not doing one and I don't really understand the concept. Shouldn't the wedding cake be for the bride and the groom? Why would there be an extra cake for the groom? Then shouldn't there be one for the bride as well?
    Posted by mymissingpuzzlepiece[/QUOTE]

I think the point is that the guy's personality doesn't get reflected in the wedding cake. Usually it's the brides picking it out and making it look like what THEY want, so the grooms' cake is a fun way to show the groom's personality to the guests. Also, if the groom doesn't get his fave flavor, this would be a chance to make it all about him.
  • What exactly is a grooms cake?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Fi and I dont like cake really. We are having a wedding cake cause our families want one. So we wont be having one :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards