Canada-Ontario

Name Change

I swear there were posts about this before but I looked a bit and didn't feel like looking anymore.  I am debating the legal change vs. assuming.  I know I have to wait until I have my marriage certificate - no rush there.  Obviously assuming is easier - but a quick question - I can leave my passport alone if I am assuming, correct?  I just change my day to day stuff like driver's license, banking stuff, work info, etc., right?

Any info from those married brides would be appreciated!  Thanks! :)

Re: Name Change

• LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just checked online and the passport website says if I want a passport in my married name, I need to apply for a new one...

Guess I answered my own question!
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dammit I just got a new one in March!
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I assumed DH's name. I left my passport under my maiden name though, so I still travel with that name. It just means booking airline tickets and such under the maiden name. When it's time to renew (next year) I'll get it under my married name. You can leave your passport alone for now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much ringy!  I'll just have to remember that when I book tickets - DH's family is renting a house in Italy next summer!!!
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Actually I'm glad you posted this, because if you hadn't reminded me, I might have forgotten and booked my next plane ticket out of Canada under my new name! (I booked my Halifax ticket under my new name because I didn't need a passport; I daresay I've actually gotten used it!)
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    Ooh I just did all my name change visits on Tuesday. I did health card, bank, driver's license and Social Insurance Number. My Passport expires in 2012 so I will change it when I apply for a new one. The lady at Service Ontario said they might give me some trouble at customs if my passport doesn't match all my ID, but I have my birth certificate still so it should be fine. GL
  • eva28eva28 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My current passport expires in 2012 as well; if I get a new one in a few months, will that passport still expire in the same year?  Just wondering if I would be spending an extra round of renewal fees.  In terms of IDs matching, I wonder if it will be less trouble if I'm simply hyphenating?  i.e. My passport will have my maiden name and my other IDs will have my maiden + married name.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I can't wait to get my certificate in the mail so I can officially change my name! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would think you'd be fine to wait to change your passport until it comes due for renewal. Just make sure you travel with your birth certificate which would have your maiden name on it, since we all know what a pill it can be to get through customs. Of course, having ALL of your ID in the same name would probably be simpler, applying for passports is such a pain in the arse. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Sunny0710Sunny0710 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Ladies,
    I am jumping on the bandwagon late here, but I was told by my officiant that if you are assuming, you don't need to wait for a government issued marriage certificate to start changing your name. Your signed certificate from the officiant and your witnesses from the wedding (which will have your license number on it) can be used. I checked online as well and this is acceptable for driver's license, etc.
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got my marriage certificate already!  So much for that "12 week wait"!!!  I applied for it on Aug 26th knowing that it would only be processed after the marriage was registered (around November), but they did it THAT DAY - it is printed right on it, and I got it in the mail yesterday!  Crazy! 
    edited December 2011
    Hey Littlin,
    You got your government issued license already? Why would your marriage not be registered until Nov? I think I am a little out of the loop here.
    My officiant told me that all I needed to assume the name is the marriage cert from the church, which he gave to me following the wedding. Can you fill me in on what you're doing?
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Typically in Toronto at least, they say it takes about 10-12 weeks for the city to register the marriage, especially in the summer when they have thousands of weddings happening!  If you go online to order your certificate, they won't guarantee the delivery date unless they can find your registration of marriage in the system, but I ordered it anyway.  They did it that day and mailed it out right away as well!

Some places will take the record of solemnization from the church, but some places require your certificate.  I didn't want to start doing the name change process with all my ID until I got it, just in case.  Now I can start earlier than expected!  
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! My officiant was wrong anyway- you can change your health card with the solemization but not your license, so it looks like I have to order it anyway. Hopefully mine will be as quick as yours was!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards