Latino Weddings

Drama - Extra Guests

Hi everyone!
I'm Mexican, so I knew that the add-on guest dilemma was gonna happen. I just don't know how to deal with it, without family getting upset. I'm having trouble dealing with our guests wanting to bring their own guests.My cousin has asked me if she can bring her in-laws, which I have no relationship with. Her husband is just assuming they are also guests. How do I tell her nicely, that only she and her husband are invited. I'm more concerned about him getting upset.  I wouldn't want to put her in a bad position. She is like my sister, so I would be upset it she doesn't attend the wedding. We are paying for the entire wedding, so we are in a tight budget. There are other family members who I'm sure I'll have to deal with this problem also.
Thanks!

Re: Drama - Extra Guests

• edited December 2011
    Just tell them that it is not in your budget.  We were also worried about this, so when we sent out our invites we included an RSVP card which allowed them to RSVP for

___ of 4

They got the hint that only 4 were invited.  Luckily no one RSVP'd for more than the number on the RSVP card.
    My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image
  • gavancisgavancis member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thats a great idea! Too bad I already ordered the invitations and RSVPs. Luckily, I haven't sent them out yet. 
    They basically say
    _____ will attend
    will not attend ___

What's the best way to add a maximum of ppl for each invite. What's the best wording, i mean, so its short and sweet.

Thanks.

• edited December 2011
    I am marrying a Mexican and we discussed this very issue. Apparently it is normal for people to just show up at a reception even though they weren't actually invited. We only have about 80 actually invited but we told the caterer 100 just to be safe. We also got the reception hall to agree to let us provide some of our own food. They have their own catering but as long as we agree to use them they will allow family to bring in extra food. My future sister in law is going to make tamales.
  • edited December 2011
    I would just be honest and say, look our budget is really tight, so this formal event is really only for the people invited.  We are flattered that the would want to celebrate with us, but we just don't have room.  If it applies, you can also use space as a reason for limiting the guest list.  Tough situation though!!
  • loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing this to avoid extra guests: 1st my mom has already told her relatives word-of-mouth that we're only having 100 guests which include closest family/friends and that seats/plates are exact, no extra guests can be accomodated.
    2nd: our invitations will only be worded to those invited since we're not having children at wedding, the rsvp card will name those invited and specifically state: "Four seats have been reserved in your honor" ......etc.
  • aghouston86aghouston86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugh I'm stressing about this as well. My FI is Salvadoran and has a HUGE family, not to mention only about half of them even live in the U.S. I haven't even finished the guest list and I'm already at over 170 people, Our catering and facility rental is already set for 150 guests and the quot is at like $6,800 and the vast majority of that cost is the food. I feel your pain ladies!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I agree just tell them it's not in your budget. They should understand.

If you haven't sent out invites yet then you just need to write who is invited on invite so it should say

Sister, Sister's Husband and kids. If they have kids.

I also like the idea of the _____out of 4 attending or ___ out of 4 not attending.

since yours are already made... But can you at something after the _____ Attending part? Or you can pass around by word of mouth that you don't have room for extra guest.

What we are doing is having People call us or visit our RSVP website.

That way if they try to invite more then what is invited they can't. The website is set up to where you can't add people . So for example if my sister RSVP;s on the website it will show: Sister, Sister Husband and Sister Child. ( it only shows who is invted and won't let you add anymore unless we do it on our end)

If they call and tell me how many per Family I can then tell them I am sorry but we are very limited on Budget and space and we only counted __# for your family. and let them decide who they want to bring .

Best of luck
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    This is definitely one of those issues that come about with Latin weddings. You should just let them know that you are being charged per person and tell a white lie and say that you have already submitted final counts to the venue. They should understand and it would be silly of them to get upset just because you can't invite the entire familia and their families too. And if they do get upset, trust me they'll get over it.
  • lsanchez18lsanchez18 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG... I stressed out about this issue too... Most hispanic have the habit of inviting their own guest... I find that rude... but what could we do...I am MEXICAN!!!...

but i did come up with something that has been very successful so far...

I included an RSVP  stating : "we have reserved 4 seat(s) for you/ Hemos reservado 4 asiento(s) para usted" and they had to check the box whether they accept or regret... not only did I include the RSVP I added a little card 3.5 by 2.5 inches stating the same  "we have reserved 4 seat(s) for you/ Hemos reservado 4 asiento(s) para usted" inside a small envelope... So they don't forget how many seats they have... But i also did it so they get a hint to please respect that...(sort of like a entrance ticket) but no door security... If guest get offended, i wouldn't worry... It just asking ot please respect not to bring tag alongs....   have people think whatever, its not their wedding its YOUR wedding...

From this experience, its been sucessful, I have received at least 60% of RSVP on time and they are still coming by mail. I have also been told that everything is beening done so organize...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards