New Hampshire

Sunset Ceremony?

Hi all! I'm new to this board and I think this is the first post I've started on TK, so YAY! I'm very early in the planning process as we haven't really even set a date yet. I would really like an outdoor sunset ceremony, but I'm having trouble picking the time of year that would work best for. The reception would be inside and I would have a back-up indoor space in case of bad weather. I feel like the summer's ruled out because sunset isn't until 8:30, but I don't know if it will be too cold in say, October, even though the time would be about right. 

What do you think? Is this even possible in New Hampshire?

Re: Sunset Ceremony?

• edited December 2011
    Maybe the first week in October would be ok.  It will be pretty cool but I don't think it would be too cold for a quick ceremony.
  • DrPB2b13DrPB2b13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-hampshire_sunset-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:101Discussion:0cc77f9e-57c4-496d-917f-9e31e75a8799Post:6f6df95b-963f-4bff-964e-5250503d0fab">Sunset Ceremony?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi all! I'm new to this board and I think this is the first post I've started on TK, so YAY! I'm very early in the planning process as we haven't really even set a date yet. I would really like an outdoor sunset ceremony, but I'm having trouble picking the time of year that would work best for. The reception would be inside and I would have a back-up indoor space in case of bad weather. <strong>I feel like the summer's ruled out because sunset isn't until 8:30</strong>, but I don't know if it will be too cold in say, October, even though the time would be about right.  What do you think? Is this even possible in New Hampshire?
    Posted by SAYF[/QUOTE]

There are always ways to finagle a sunset wedding at any time of year, so if there's a particular time of year you have your heart set on, I say go for it.  For a summer wedding, you could change times around and make it rather nontraditional - have your cocktail hour, then ceremony, then dinner & dancing afterward.  Or even your cocktail hour and dinner first.

You also don't have to go all the way into October for a more reasonable start time.  The sun sets around 7 PM by early-mid September, and around 7:30 by mid- to late-August.

And finally, if you really just want pretty sunset pictures, pick a location that has an idyllic setting for them and leave in the middle of dinner to go take some.  I coordinated my wedding day schedule around our ceremony start time because I wanted to be sure we got some good sunset pictures in there, even if we have to leave dinner for a while to do it!

For more sunset times, <a href="http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=68">click here</a>.  You can look up any date in any place in the world and it will tell you when the sun will rise and set!
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • edited December 2011
    We're getting married October 20th 2012 and our photographer researched sunset and said it should be around 5:20... you should check with photographers about light for pictures, because if you get married at sunset you might run out of time for the lighting you need for outdoor photos after the ceremony. Unless you want to do a first look and take photos before the ceremony. goodluck in your venue search!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for the quick responses and helpful insight!!! I will definitely be looking into some of those options. :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards