New Jersey - South

Newly Engaged, Trying To Keep Costs Down

Hi, I'm newly engaged (he asked me on 10/10/12) and I'm just wondering if anyone has done or is doing a lower-budgetted wedding with a guest list that isn't so low. We're considering having a destination wedding with a limited guest list, but we still want to have some sort of reception home as well. Fiance does not want, by any means, a back yard bbq for a reception. I'm open for suggestions. We're not looking for backyard bbq as I mentioned and no VFW. I'm estimating a guest list to be between 150 and 200 (I have a large, italian family.) 

Re: Newly Engaged, Trying To Keep Costs Down

• Congrats on your engagement!

The first thing that you should do is create 2 guests lists, the people who must be there and those who must be invited and those who it would be nice if they could be invited.  Then realistically figure out your budget.  How much you can save over x amount of months = your budget. 

There could be many places that will fit into your budget.  I wouldn't totally discount VFW halls, some of them are very nice.  Look into the local county parks system.  Some of them have community rooms that are available for rent.  A few that I can think of:
    Moorestown Community Center
    Haddon Fortnightly, in Haddonfield
    Gibson House, in Evesham Twp.

One great way to save money would be to host your wedding at a non-meal time.  You could have a 2 pm or 8 pm ceremony and go right into a dessert reception or appetizer and dessert reception.  Your reception would probably be shorter than a big 5 hour one typically seen today though.

I hope this helps!  If you have an idea of total budget, come back and let us know what that is so we can help you more!  Also the budgeter tool on TK is pretty good.  Eliminate all of the unnecessary expenses and let the budgeter tell you how to allocate you money so you know where to spend what.  It helped me a lot during my wedding planning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards