New Hampshire
Options

Checks and cake reviews

Today I booked my cake and i got the phone call that my dress is in!

Last week we went to 3 cake tastings(we made one of our vacation days a day of cake) and here are my thoughts.

First was Jacques:
After everyones recommendations of Jacques, I had pretty high expectations.  They definitely delivered.  The guy we met with was a little odd, but very nice.  I explained what I was looking for and we looked through their pictures and books.  We found something along the lines of what we had been looking for and he drew up a small sketch.  We wanted to try quite a few kinds, but they had no problem with this.  They came out with a FULL slice of chocolate and vanilla for both of us.  We also then had a FULL slice of the spice, red velvet, and espresso to share.  They then also gave us a bunch of cups with the different frostings to try.  It was awesome to be able to mix and match.  The cakes were amazing and nice and light.  Yes we ate all of the cake. lol

We ended up choosing two sets of cakes that we love!  One will be the spice cake with two layers of the cinnamon and a layer of caramel in the middle.  My favorite!!!  The other will be vanilla cake with two layers of baileys and one of chocolate.  All of the frostings will be the buttercream.

Next Fredericks in Bedford:

Frederick's was good but after coming from Jacques, it was a little bit of a letdown.  The guy was very nice and seemed to love what he did.  Here they gave us a piece of chocolate and vanilla in the middle of the plate with different fillings around the side.  The cake was a little thicker here which was different, but not good or bad.  I was not as impressed with the fillings.  The buttercream was a bit more sugary in my opinion.  The rasberry was pretty good.

Next was Chickadee Hill in Sandown:
It is a cute little shop that is a bit smaller of a setup.  They were accomodting in that when i wanted to come by, it wasn't their normal tasting time, but they let me do it anyways.  They had setup a few cakes to look at sizing.  They had about 10-12 little samples of cake that had the fillings and cake in it.  They were great!  They let us know that they could mix and match any of them.  Our favorite had an apple layer.  The cake was delicious and the girl was very nice.  

Overall, all three were very good experiences.  We booked Jacques, because they seemed interested in the creative aspect and I fell in love with the spice/cinnamon/caramel mix.

Sorry this became so long!

~~Sabrina~~ Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Checks and cake reviews

• Options
    amanda489amanda489 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the reviews this is one of the next things on my list to book!
    I planned on going to jaques so glad to hear such a good review plus i won a $100 off coupon at a bridal expo so that may just be a little bonus =)
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the reviews!  We have a cake tasting next week at Andover Cakes but have been considering Jacques.  Glad to hear they live up to the hype.
  • Options
    Lilac++Lilac++ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We loved our Frederick's cake -- but we had white almond pound cake with raspberry filling. It's too bad they didn't have you try that one!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    My two favorite cats!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    DrPB2b13DrPB2b13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jacques 100% lives up to the "hype," they are amazingly delicious.  We had our tasting a few weeks ago, and we're almost certain we're going to go with them - just gonna shop around a little bit more.

We also LOVED the spice cake!  If we pick Jacques we're going to do that with the apple jam and possibly caramel buttercream for our middle tier :)
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mmmmm....cake tasting...that was the FI's favorite part. :) We went with Jacques, too. We are getting Espresso Cake w/ Bailey's Irish Creme filling. So good.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    DanielleH818DanielleH818 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hi Ladies!

MMM Cake! =)

I have a couple questions for you:  

1.  When should you go in for a cake testing? My wedding is next September (2012.)  Is it too soon to go?

2.  At the end of the cake tasting..do they pressure you to make a decision? Or is it okay to say that you'll be in touch? I liked the idea of going to at least two different cake tastings..but wasn't sure if there was any peer pressure from the place to order now

3. Does it cost anything to participate in the tasting?

Thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am not sure if there is a too soon, but my wedding is April of next year if that helps at all.

They did not pressure me at all.  Fredericks asked that i call at some point and let them know either way.  Jacques didn't really ask, but I told them i would be in touch.  Chickadee Hill said they would reserve my date for a week, but did not pressure at all.  I did not pay anything to do any of the tastings :)

Good questions :)
    ~~Sabrina~~ Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    DrPB2b13DrPB2b13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-hampshire_checks-cake-reviews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:101Discussion:06009bc3-2726-4cd3-aed4-6a49d0558f7aPost:5526d17b-a867-47e7-b0f7-0047410c22da">Re: Checks and cake reviews</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Ladies! MMM Cake! =) I have a couple questions for you:   1.  When should you go in for a cake testing? My wedding is next September (2012.)  <strong>Is it too soon to go?</strong> 2.  At the end of the cake tasting..do they pressure you to make a decision? Or is it okay to say that you'll be in touch? I liked the idea of going to at least two different cake tastings..but wasn't sure if there was any peer pressure from the place to order now 3. Does it cost anything to participate in the tasting? Thanks!
    Posted by DanielleH818[/QUOTE]

Danielle, at a bridal show I had asked Jacques when they recommended brides/couples book tastings.  They told me that typically they will do tastings & book around 4-6 months in advance, but they have no problem accommodating further in advance than that, and encouraged me to book as soon as I wanted to.

The big advantage they let us know of when we were there for a tasting is that when they raise prices, they generally do so starting January 1.  BUT, the price you pay is based on when you book, not when your wedding is being held.  Most other vendors I've spoken with have echoed this.  You can save a great deal of money by booking now rather than later :)
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • Options
    DanielleH818DanielleH818 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for your input ladies! I think I'm going to be eating some cake sooner rather than later after all =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    Just starting my research for an Oct 2012 wedding.  What are the prices like at Jacques?  I don't want to fall in love with a vendor only to find out they are wayyy out of the budget.
  • Options
    cfsoccer3cfsoccer3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i'm also very interested in the price range of Jacque's. We have a tasting there tomorrow and have heard great reviews but we are concerned about prices. Quotes we have gotten from other bakers have seemed really high.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We knew we were going with Jacques from day 1 of wedding planning, as I have grown up loving their cakes! 

We went for tasting during April vacation (we're teachers) for our August wedding, and it is free of charge.  We knew going into the appt. that we were booking them, but I know 100% that they would be fine with you saying, "We'll be in touch".  

It's helpful to go in with an idea of what you want it to look like, but they really helped me 'refine' my vision into something specific.  They are incredibly professional, artistic, and super nice.  My cake was beautiful and we have received endless compliments!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We LOVED Jacques! People are still talking about our cake! Delish! Hmm...only 11 more months till DH and I can unwrap that top tier in the freezer.... :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    TheSlowskysTheSlowskys member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd also like to know how much Jacques is per slice.  I went to a wedding this weekend and had their cake for the first time.  It was the best cake I had ever had.  I tried a lemon with raspberry filling and an amaretto/almond slice as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards