North Carolina-Outer Banks

OBX- Planning w/o a Planner

Anyone planned w/o a planner in the OBX?  

Re: OBX- Planning w/o a Planner

• SassyToezSassyToez member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    Absolutely! It definitely helps that I know a couple of girls that have gotten married in Hatteras! I think if you go to your venue, take lots of pictures, take fellow knotties advice about different vendors you'll be fine! Locals are some of the nicest people you will ever meet, too!
  • Absolutely! My wedding is May 24th and we are doing a lot of things on the affordable end!  Email me if you want to talk!
    jnpalumb@ncsu.edu

-Jessica
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am planning from NYC without a planner, but I do work in public relations and plan events all the time for my clients, so its a little easier.  That being said, my wedding is at the Sanderling and they provide a day-of coordinator - if they didn't, I would have 100% hired someone for the day.  There are so many moving parts, you do not want to be responsible for it yourself, and depending on how many moving parts your wedding consists of, you don't want to trust it to someone who doesn't do events for a living.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • For the ladies using or who have used day-of coordinators, where do you locate such a person, and how much do they usually charge?

• We hired a planner for day of coordination just so I don't stress myself out, I tend to get very overwhelmed very easily!  We hired Laura from Sugar Snap Events since Shirley(her partner) is our florist.  She is a bit pricey however we got a great deal at the wedding expo and she has been awesome so far and so is Shirley!!
  • Ohh and you can look on www.obxwa.com under vendors and there is a section for planners/coordinators, if not there check under florists
  • We were set on NOT hiring a planner (definitely knew I could do it all myself) until we had to meet with the rental company and had no idea how many wine glasses or cocktail tables to order. I think it really depends on your venue (how much they set up/clean up) and how many people you will be having. Our venue doesn't provide anything and since we have had 230 people RSVP - all of whom are driving 2+ hours to get there AND our wedding is on a Sat night before we have to be out of our houses by 10 AM the next morning - it was just too much to ask people to do. We got a planner and it is an added cost but she has already saved us thousands of dollars on the rentals (she gets a 10% discount) and dealt with every vendor in terms of money, timeline, what we need from them, etc. She will be there when all of the vendors arrive to set up and will know where they are supposed to go and what they need. And she breaks everything down. We just show up :) Our planner is from VA Beach but I have heard great things about Nanette from The Proper Setting and talked to SugarSnap when we were first looking and they were fabulous and I love the look of Renee Landry's stuff!!!! 
  • If you do decide to go with a planner.  I LOVE Shirley with Sugar Snaps, but she does the florals.  She is our florist.  I've heard her partner Laura is great for day of.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Renee Landry is amazing! We're using 2 of her white, abstract trees for our ceremony and then we're gonna have a white wish tree for the reception... Just to kind of tie it all together :0
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_obx-planning-wo-a-planner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:e8c3dfb5-62b8-40ee-b82a-cdcb000243a9Post:32cf0d82-ffb7-4420-83f3-5c6a30e4e18b">Re: OBX- Planning w/o a Planner</a>:
    [QUOTE]We didn't hire one. I planned everything myself and we asked a close family friend to coordinate with the vendors/help out the day of.
    Posted by keb2482[/QUOTE]
    That's exactly what I am doing.  It CAN be done w/o a planner.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are using a day of planner only, I agree with others on here, there is too much on the day of that I just simply don't want to have to deal with, worry over! Just keeps all running smoothly~ I don;t want to know ALL about the little things~ :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Using Brenda Ziegler from to Have and to Hold.  Had every intention of doing it all myself until I couldn't answer the following questions:  Who is going to be making sure candles are lit under the tent during ceremony so they're ready for reception (event home reception)?  Not me...and not any of my guests.  Who is going to make sure nobody parks at the street (private parking only) so they don't get towed?  Not me..and not any of my guests.  Not hiring a DJ (future hubs has all the equipment and is setting up a playlist for the entire reception on autopilot) so who is going to tell people, it's time for cake, it's time for coffee, etc.?  Who's going to make sure there's soap/tp/tissue in restrooms?  Not me, or my guests.  Who is setting up, breaking down, cleaning up?  Who's putting the benches on the beach and moving them when we're done?  All of that could be me but I'd be a stressed mess and it was just worth it to have someone there that would do it, and do it well :)
  • For my daughter's wedding we are using Laura from Sugar Snaps Events for the day of wedding coordinator. And Shirley for the flowers and decorations! They have been wonderful to work with!!
    WedOBX2012 ---I  agree with your post 100% !! We knew from the start we did not want the stress of all the day of coordination on ourselves, family members, and guest!
  • We are using the Kitty Hawk Pier House. I wonder if I will need a day of or if I can rely on the coordinator there to do the necessary? We are doing both ceremony and reception there. Thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards