Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

My Christmas Miracle

I wasn't planning on going home for Christmas and my then-boyfriend said he had to work. I was in a pretty crappy holiday mood, to be quite frank. Then, on the Wednesday before Christmas, he sent me a text: "I have a little surprise for you. Meet me at my office tomorrow at noon with a suitcase for the whole weekend. Don't ask any questions." So, of course, I asked a ton of questions. He would not oblige any clues or hints.

Well, I arrived the next day with my suitcase and we immediately left for Penn Station. He bought the tickets and we waited in line and I still had no idea where we were going. We got on the train and I STILL didn't know where we were going. We got off in Trenton and transferred to a train destined for Philly (this is when I finally figured it out). This was my first time there and I was really excited (especially because I thought I would be spending Christmas alone).

We checked in to the Park Hyatt at the Bellevue -- amazing. It had its own private drive with a gate and everything. Once we got settled into our fabulous king room, we realized it was happy hour at the bar. The bar/restaurant is called XIX and is on the top floor of the building with amazing views. So we were in a private booth enjoying our cocktails and he was just being really sweet. Above and beyond how he normally is.

The next day, I got up to take a shower and when I came out of the bathroom, towel-wrapped, dripping wet hair, and sans makeup, he was standing on the other side of the door with a goofy grin on his face. I said, "WTF, you just scared the crap out of me." (Romantic, I know.) And he wouldn't get out of my way as I tried to find my clothes. He was annoying me, to be quite frank, lol. Anyway, then he started his little proposal speech--it was sooo sweet, but I'll spare you :) Then he got on one knee and whipped out the ring. I was just like, "Umm. Are you serious?!" I accepted, of course!

After that we went back to XIX for breakfast and mimosas (duh). He just kept looking at my ring with a goofy grin. He was feeling a little under the weather though, so we just relaxed the entire day, with a lot of him looking at my ring smiling. We went back up to XIX for dinner and drinks. I'll spare you the mushy deets :)

After dinner we explored the hotel... there is a "conservatory" that was on our floor and at night it was just lit by candles and Christmas lights. There was also a beautiful fountain in the middle of it...I felt so silly, but at that point I started crying a little (happy tears) because I didn't really believe it was all real.

That is, in short, the story. Let the planning begin!

Re: My Christmas Miracle

• Options
    aw, Congrats!  The Bellevue is beautiful.

Philly is fabulous - next time you come here and aren't getting engaged and all, leave your hotel!!  There are so many good restaurants here and lots of cultural stuff.  Come back! :)

• Options

Maybe it's all my bride emotions talking but your story almost made me cry at the end, where you were in the conservatory! I know you'll never forget that, it sounds like it was beautiful. Congrats!! =D

We're just two lost souls swimmin' in a fish bowl, year after year
  • Options
    Word of caution, Erin.

You should really delete your knot account and sign up for a new one that doesn't have your full name as your screen name.  I guarantee, you will get googled and not everyone on here is a)nice and b)planning a wedding.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    Congrats!
  • Options
    for example: i know humane society commercials make you cry. i know you are hoping for a safe recovery for ace.

mrs.b is really nice and cares. that's why she is telling you this! we're excited to have you here! just create a new screen name to use instead. i know you didn't realize there were message boards when you created this screen name. it happens to the best of us!
  • Options
    erin, if you decide to create a new account and repost this story, let me know and i will delete this thread! then you can still tell your sweet story and get comments.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards