Registry and Gift Forum

Cookware suggestions?

Fiance is the cook and he prefers stainless pots and nonstick pans. I am thinking we should register for a set of stainless cookware and then put a couple individual nonstick pans on the regisry. Any suggestions/reccomendations on what to register for or what to stay away from? We do not want something extremely expensive, our guests will appalled if we register for 500 dollar cookware.. but I do not want something that I will have to replace in 6 months either. We are registered at Macys and are considering Target and Bed, Bath and Beyond too.

Thanks in advance! 

Re: Cookware suggestions?

• We have Calphalon tri-ply stainless.  They are really good but we are still saving for All-Clad.

Don't waste your money on non stick pans.  They don't have a long life and if they get scratched you need to toss them.  The best non-stick you can get is cast iron.  We got four different sizes of Lodge cast iron a few months ago for less than $100 at Sur La Table.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • B2Z728B2Z728 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    Another vote for Calphalon Tri-ply stainless! We have the 8 qt. stock pot, a 10 inch skillet, and a 5 quart saute pan.

We registered for seperate pieces since we already had some cookware that we liked but we wanted to upgrade a few and add a few.

I'd recommend one high quality nonstick skillet for eggs and other things that are pain to clean up. We had a 12 inch Calphalon Hard Anodized nonstick skillet on our registry. It's heavy and a higher grade than cheap nonstick. I know that we could use our cast iron skillet for that, but sometime you just want the ease of cleanup. Personal preference though.

When I make oatmeal I also prefer a nonstick sauce pan for ease of cleanup as well since it turns to glue if you don't quickly clean the pot.

And I'll second Retread, that if you do not have any Corningware or Pyrex, you may want a few pieces of each in different shapes and sizes.

A enamled cast iron dutch is often useful too. Le Creuset, Staub and Lodge are great brands.
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Thanks for all the suggestions. I checked out the tri-ply and it is 500 dollars on sale at Macys. I just am not comfortable putting that on my registry-- my family cannot afford something like that, no one has such nice cookware even for themselves. I know people often go in on gifts together but I am 110% sure I will hear a ton of snippy comments about registering for such expensive cookware. Maybe this is something we will purchase ourselves with wedding money though, it seems like the Caphalon triply is def the favorite of all!! Thank you again.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_cookware-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:c7a5e91a-b0c5-45c7-ac4b-5da36b01ea01Post:ce760708-df8b-4b83-909e-3f3385b2bdf0">Re: Cookware suggestions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for all the suggestions. I checked out the tri-ply and it is 500 dollars on sale at Macys. I just am not comfortable putting that on my registry-- my family cannot afford something like that, no one has such nice cookware even for themselves. I know people often go in on gifts together but I am 110% sure I will hear a ton of snippy comments about registering for such expensive cookware. Maybe this is something we will purchase ourselves with wedding money though, it seems like the Caphalon triply is def the favorite of all!! Thank you again.
    Posted by jsurmacy[/QUOTE]

Go to BB&B and register for individual pieces.  We got a large pan, a small one and one called an every day pan which we use nearly every day.  Matching sets of cookware do not always make sense.  DH and I argue over who gets to make dinner, are pretty good cooks and we would not use probably half of what comes in the Calphalon Tri-ply set.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • B2Z728B2Z728 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_cookware-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:c7a5e91a-b0c5-45c7-ac4b-5da36b01ea01Post:ce760708-df8b-4b83-909e-3f3385b2bdf0">Re: Cookware suggestions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for all the suggestions. I checked out the tri-ply and it is 500 dollars on sale at Macys. I just am not comfortable putting that on my registry-- my family cannot afford something like that, no one has such nice cookware even for themselves. I know people often go in on gifts together but I am 110% sure I will hear a ton of snippy comments about registering for such expensive cookware. Maybe this is something we will purchase ourselves with wedding money though, it seems like the Caphalon triply is def the favorite of all!! Thank you again.
    Posted by jsurmacy[/QUOTE]

Don't get a whole set. Just put the pieces on which you think you need. This will help with the price point so that your family members can pick and choose what they want to buy you. You might also be surprised that many people are often a lot more generous for weddings and birdal showers than you were expecting. Since you said that your FI is the one who cooks, he should be able to know what sort of things your kitchen needs. Most of the time you do not need a whole set and won't use everything that comes in it.

Even if you do have expensive things on your registry, you're not forcing anyone purchase these items. It's just a guideline and shows what you like. If you like some of things we suggested, go ahead and put them on your registry, despite price point. If nobody buys them, you'll usually get a discount on items left on your registry after your wedding has passed.
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm part of the minority here when it comes to cookware, as I LOVE my nonstick. I'm too impatient to cook with stainless, I burn everything. :) The nonstick pans I recommend are the Calphalon Unison pans. Super easy clean up, very durable, and have a lifetime warranty. 

As long as you take care of them, a good quality nonstick pan can last a really long time. You just can't use metal utensils in them or stack them inside each other. We hang all of ours, and use wooden or silicone utensils and have had no problems whatsoever. Plus if we did have a problem, it's a lifetime warranty so we can get them replaced. Even if Calphon for whatever reason won't replace them (which is rare, their customer service is awesome), Bed Bath will replace it no questions asked.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards