Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

The best 'Do' for fine, thin hair?

I've got fine, thin hair. I'm also on a budget and don't want to pay extra for hair extentions. What do you think would be the best/most flattering hair style for the Big Day?
For hair accessories, I'm wearing a pearl beaded headband and a single layer veil that is a ballet style or waltz style (meaning it hits an inch above the floor).
Ideas?

Re: The best 'Do' for fine, thin hair?

• Options
    how long is your hair?  what is the neckline of your dress? do you want it up or down?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Strait neckline, strapless... it's an empire waist sheath dress.

My hair is past shoulder length, it falls about the top of the bra line...

Even though it's fine, it has volume and its wavy... I know, werid huh?

Perhaps having the hair up...
  • Options
    Wow I have really similar hair to you! I had my hair trial over the weekend and we found that up in kind of a low chignon with curls worked the best because it was easiest to give the appearence of volume. The hair dresser was really surprised how poorly my hair held the curls though (they were gone in like 10 minutes and my hair is naturally very wavy) so make sure to use tons of hair spray.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with Rachel--if I had not used extensions, a low chignon was probably the way I would have gone.  Here is my inspiration picture;

• Options
    rochellk465-
    Are you planning on sticking with curls even though your hair doesn't hold them? Would you mind posting a pic, or at least of something simular?
    Thanks, and good luck, I see you've got about a month to go! 2 months for me! Exciting!
  • Options
    My fav pics are these... does anyone think these are possible, or am I dreaming?!

• Options
    I'm no expert but i think they could be done.

and I love it! and would be pretty with your dress!
  • Options
    Thanks Trixie, and good luck with all your wedding beauty endeavors!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_fine-thin-hair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:7a51cdbb-732f-4f5b-9597-289494869dcbPost:ce29b12f-be17-41c9-84a4-ac24cb098772">Re: The best 'Do' for fine, thin hair?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fav pics are these... does anyone think these are possible, or am I dreaming?!
    Posted by mountaingirl18[/QUOTE]

Emmy Rossum's hair is very long and thick.  You might have better luck with the Jessica Alba one.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_fine-thin-hair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:7a51cdbb-732f-4f5b-9597-289494869dcbPost:ce29b12f-be17-41c9-84a4-ac24cb098772">Re: The best 'Do' for fine, thin hair?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fav pics are these... does anyone think these are possible, or am I dreaming?!
    Posted by mountaingirl18[/QUOTE]

You can totally do both of them.  You would achieve the second one by curling a  medium/low pony tail from your ears back.  Then you curl the front and the sides and pin them all over the place. after you pin the ponytail all messy.  I'm a hair stylist.  I do this a lot.

The best type of iron to use is a triangle or a ribbon iron (flat)  It gives it a ton of volume and dimension.  You don't need them a round would work fine.  The ribbon just gives it a little added oomph.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_fine-thin-hair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:7a51cdbb-732f-4f5b-9597-289494869dcbPost:92ea727b-e072-417b-bf87-a312b079f765">Re: The best 'Do' for fine, thin hair?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The best 'Do' for fine, thin hair? : You can totally do both of them.  You would achieve the second one by curling a  medium/low pony tail from your ears back.  Then you curl the front and the sides and pin them all over the place. after you pin the ponytail all messy.  I'm a hair stylist.  I do this a lot. The best type of iron to use is a triangle or a ribbon iron (flat)  It gives it a ton of volume and dimension.  You don't need them a round would work fine.  The ribbon just gives it a little added oomph.
    Posted by nicoleh55[/QUOTE]

Sorry, this post was supposed to be from me.  My co-worker was still logged in.  The Jessica Alba one will need some reenfocements under the curls.  It doesnt have a lot of substance.  So if your hair doesnt hold curls very well this might just flatten out on you.  Where the 2nd photo you pin the hair enough it wont move and the volume will stay until you take it out..

If your stylist uses some fake hair in nylon and secures it she can pin your hair over it and you would never know it is there and it wont budge if you like Jessica Alba's picture better.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards