Moms and Maids
Options

Did anyone else get spammed/hacked?

In an earlier thread this morning on this board titled "what I leared from my one-day bridesmaid experience", one of the posters said that this girl and the post was spam and was only posted to get you to go to her website.  Well I am the dummy who ended up on her site and today my bank account had an unauthorized transaction activity.  The transcation was decline and my credit union literally notified me seconds after the transaction was declined.  I cancelled the cards and am getting new ones tomorrow. 

But I immediately thought of this post from this morning and how it may have been linked.  The only other thing I can think of is that I made purchases on etsy, but they went through paypal, which I have used before and had no problems with. 

I was just wondering if anyone else had any problems today or if you think the earlier poster was linked in any way? 

Just wondering....
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Did anyone else get spammed/hacked?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Damn-I clicked on that link, too. So far, no suspicious activity, though.Thanks for the heads up.

• Options
    utegogglesutegoggles member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Glad I read this before their post!
  • Options
    vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Unless the site accessed your machine and downloaded files that contain your credit card numbers, that is not the problem. 

Any place that you have used a credit card is a vunerable spot--gas station, restaurant, apparel store, website.  I would start there.  Blogs are usually not phishing or credit scamming sites.  If they are infection zones, they will use your machine to send out spam.

Not saying that it is not a possibiltiy, but it is a little far-fetched. 
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yea I agree that blogs usually aren't the cause, but it just got me thinking because I've never had a problem with paypal and that was the last time I used the card online.  But you never know.  Either way the problem is fixed and I ran a scan on my computer :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just remember that people can steal your credit card information in numerous ways. In fact, most credit card theft is inititiated at the gas pump by criminals that install a scanner where you swipe the card.  The second most common place is at restaurants and bars.  I mean people just hand over their credit card to a complete stranger and let them walk away with it. It is so easy to write down the number and the security code in the kitchen after it is swiped.  Boom--instant shopping spree.   Just because your card got used online does not mean that the number was stolen from an online source.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The gas pump thing is why you should always use your credit card and not debit card at the pump. (Better protections and not linked to your bank account)

I read that thread and thought it looked a little strange to me. Hackers suck.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic *This is not legal advice*
  • Options
    em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_did-anyone-else-spammedhacked?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:22887d02-1e36-484d-a261-dd7ad2390eaaPost:3a16ea1f-d88d-4023-9ad8-e1fbb6162071">Re: Did anyone else get spammed/hacked?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The gas pump thing is why you should always use your credit card and not debit card at the pump. (Better protections and not linked to your bank account) I read that thread and thought it looked a little strange to me. Hackers suck.
    Posted by Juris11[/QUOTE]

<div>I work at a gas station (Quiktrip, not nation wide) and have for 5 years. I've never once had a problem nor handled any complaints from customers with this issue. Cheveron puts a $75 hold on my account and screws up my banking for a day if I use their pumps. </div>
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards