Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Faux cakes?

Who has done a faux (fake) wedding cake with sheet cakes? It's an option I am considering at the bakery we want to use, but I've never seen one so I was curious as to how real it looks, if anybody has done this or been to a wedding where they knew that it was a faux cake?

Re: Faux cakes?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    A lot of the time, fake tiers on cakes can cost just as much money as the cakes themselves. The labour involved in decorating a cake is often were most of the costs lies.

I've never been to a wedding where the whole cake was fake... and I think that would be a bit tacky. I mean, if you're going to serve sheet cake, don't be embarrassed about it. Faking a cake just reeks of desperation to project a certain image... and on top of that, you're trying to deceive people. Save yourself the money on the fake cake and just do the real one. Do a small, one tier one for you to cut into, if that's really important to you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
     There are a lot of options at our bakery and I haven't been sure about the faux cake one so was just looking for advice from brides who might have used them and what people thought. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Options
    RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I kind of hate them... just tacky, IMHO. 

However, you can have a small, beautifully decorated cake for display, and for you to cut and serve, then supplement with sheet cakes cut in the kitchen.  Just make sure that it's all the same cake, so that some guests don't get cheaper, plainer cake and others get fancier cake. 
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did two fake tiers because of rhinestones.  You could not tell.  The cake was cut and served butler style at each table so no one knew.  All the tiers were different flavors with filling.  And it wasn't any cheaper because we still had to provide the same number of servings that we would have anyway and the cake was decorated as if the tiers were real.  Here's mine:

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My cousin had one at her wedding last year and I had no idea until the other day when someone asked me about my cake and she said hers was fake.  I am pretty wedding obsessed and pay attention to details, I actually went up on the stage and took a pic of her cake on my moms camera and had no idea.  I say go for it if it saves money or is easier!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am doing a fake cake. It's modest: two layers. The top layer is real for the cake-cutting. Bottom layer is fake. It literally saved us 200 dollars because to have the whole cake be real cake w/ fondant it was 8 dollars a slice.  The sheet cake was 1.75 per slice for the exact same flavor.  While I had to pay for two layers worth of decorations, I still saved money by having a fake bottom layer (and providing sheet cake in the back because my 2 layer cake was not enough for all guests).  

It's not tacky as long as you are serving the same flavors to everyone (yourselves, wedding party, guests, etc.)/
  • Options
    katheriner89katheriner89 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

This is what my cake will look it, the top two &4th tiers are real. The bottom & middle tier are "dummies".. It wasn't cheaper to have the dummies. But my wedding cake has to be big, that's the one thing i've always wanted even as a child, I wanted a big wedding cake on my wedding day. BUT I didn't need that much cake. (200 ppl)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Huh. I had heard of people doing a smaller cake for display and cutting, and then having the rest be a sheet cake, but never having fake layers within the smaller cake. Interesting. I guess it can be a money saver (although, according to some pps, not always). We're just going with a smaller display cake and then having the rest as a sheet cake. That's what our venue's baker always does apparently, unless you really wanted to do otherwise. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A good friend of mine was on a budget for her wedding. She didn't want to spend a ton of money on a fancy cake, but wanted to have one that looked nice. We went and got some foam, fondant, flowers and ribbon and made a beautiful fake cake for display for under $50. There was a sheet cake in the back that was served. As a surprise for her, I made her and her hubby a small cake for them to have on their anniversary.

Cake is cake. It's not tacky to have a fake cake decorated like a real one, it's actually smart. I was considering the idea but I don't have to because our caterer includes a wedding cake in our package.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We've decided to do a 2 tier cake and have a sheet cake in the back cut and ready to go. We wanted something small for 'cut the cake' pictures but it's practical to get the sheet cakes. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards