Snarky Brides

Flooding..... the joys

or not!

So here in good ol' central PA there is lovely rain coming down from the skys. The rain we really need but not all at once. We didn't have rain for 2-3 weeks at a time and now it just wants to come. Good thing is I don't have class's today.
Bad thing is my best friend's mom's and aunt's house basements are flooding.
I can't go help, and I even offered 3 teenage boys $20 a peice to go help but nope they said no.  When I was younger and someone asked for help we did it, when someone asked offering money we ran to do it.
Also to add in the bad part of it all is Rain makes me (and probably everyone) tired one top of that I have a pounding headache, my stomach is upset and I just feel sick. My leg and back also hurt more in a tense way when it's ugly out like this.

OK so that is my little vent-
Soo, How is everyone else's day? Are you in around the rain, and flooding areas of the east?
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Flooding..... the joys

• Yep.  And I live right by a river that always floods, so getting to work tomorrow will be fun. 

BUT, our school almost always looses power in bad storms, so here's hoping for an emergency closing tomorrow!  Sometimes it pays to work in an old ass building without new materials.
  • I live by a river that floods every spring too - but just remember.  The floods will go away.

In my hometown it's been flooding continuously for 17 years.  Imagine floodwaters coming up, staying up for a year, freezing, and then coming up even more the next year.  Every year.  For almost two decades.  And there isn't an end in sight.
    panther
  • AATB, your hometown's situation sucks majorly :(.

Also, wtf is up with kids not working?  I used to run around the neighborhood trying to shovel driveways for a few bucks.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_flooding-joys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f9886b99-3ec1-4460-b78e-dd0d83e0e0f3Post:c12a5812-1754-45dc-8734-68917637301e">Re: Flooding..... the joys</a>:
    [QUOTE]AATB, your hometown's situation sucks majorly :(. Also, wtf is up with kids not working?  I used to run around the neighborhood trying to shovel driveways for a few bucks.
    Posted by NatesGirl16[/QUOTE]

Who needs to work when your parents buy you a $300.+ game system plus games?

I worked when I was younger (10 - mowed lawns, 12 - babysat) because otherwise I would have had to take my 6 year old sister to the park and play with her.  That seemed like a lot more work than pushing a mower.
  • True, Anna.  All of my students have better phones, cars, and electronics than I do.  But I have cooler clothes ;)
  • I worked too.  Shiit.  Little brats these days and their effin' iPhones.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_flooding-joys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f9886b99-3ec1-4460-b78e-dd0d83e0e0f3Post:d5980f8f-c9df-4dd1-8b20-271cef59cc0c">Re: Flooding..... the joys</a>:
    [QUOTE]I live by a river that floods every spring too - but just remember.  The floods will go away. In my hometown it's been flooding continuously for 17 years.  Imagine floodwaters coming up, staying up for a year, freezing, and then coming up even more the next year.  Every year.  For almost two decades.  And there isn't an end in sight.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

I have a cure for your hometown's problem.  When the lake freezes, start cutting blocks out of the lake.  Send these blocks by freezer plane to drought ridden areas that don't have freshwater.

I'll take my Nobel Prize money now, thank you.
  • natesgirl- Yea it does pay to work in an old building sometimes, that will be nice to get a day off, and do things around the house or just sleep in.

ABTB- Yes I'm sorry I read about that when you posted. That is sad. I'm sorry your family and you when you lived there, going though all that.

The flooding isn't bad where my sister lives. Just hitting some people I know, they live in a "flood zone" so they're use to it but it still stinks and In another city close by it's worse they have 2-4 feet of water at places.
    It's just not normal but should be normal here. According to the W-man he said that PA should be use to  the flooding that we're like prone to it or something.
  • Lol that is an excellent idea anna.

Thanks play - I appreciate that.  Hopefully things look up for you guys soon...

The news story had some photos but there's a facebook group that has a lots of really good aerial photos of the region - this dude built his own airplane and started flying it this year.  Crazy?  Yup.  Amazing photos?  Also yup.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Devils-Lake-North-Dakota-Flood/113640402012127?ref=ts
    panther
  • I throw up every single time I see a 10 year old with a designer bag. Unnecessary. I didn't even know what a designer bag was until I was a junior in high school. Since when is Gap and Limited Too not good enough for these pretentious little brats??
  • Yea, 2 of the boys I asked, the one was willing to go, the other pretty much ignored me (they work a lot, they do papers and help their parents a bit too much, also home schooled), and my nephew said no, he's a smarta$$ just like his mom at times has her attitude.. My brother in law is pushing him to get his permit and then a job because he'll be 17 in March and all he does is play games..

About the phone thing- my niece and nephew both have nice cell phones, my nephew gets the hand me down cell from my sister, and my niece always gets the nice ones whenever the contract is up for upgrade. She also uses it more then my nephew does. My sister makes them call her as soon as they leave school. And hell my niece is allowed to text during school in lunch and in a "free period" I guess at the end of the day. I think that's messed up. My sister has her kids wrapped around her pinky---it's really sad actually. I can't even begin to get into it, you ladies would rip me a new one before I could say "IT"S HER NOT ME"!. 

I have a vibrant (tmobile's Iphone sorta). Ppl side eye that all the time because of my situation but I got it for free and I know that, and that is what counts.
  • We've been having a lot of floods here too. We also had a lot of leaks in the roof at school so that was a lot of fun. I drove home with my hazards on the whole way because you couldn't see 10 feet in front of you and there was no where to pull off.

I don't know, yes I think that kids are brats these days but I think every generation has said that about the next. I think it also has a huge societal contribution. Most high schoolers don't have real jobs because those are going to the 20ish year olds desperate for work right now. They don't do side jobs because (at least in the area I use to live in) if you knocked on someone's door you got shot, and you didn't trust a kid on your property.
  • yea going around asking to shovel snow was popular when I was younger but no one would dare to do it now because of what you said Katie, you'd probably get shot if we go knock on random doors..
    But this was me offering $20 to 3 teenage boys for them to help out someone I knew since I was born.. My nephew knows my best friend's mom.
  • the knot or the internet is running very slow- sorry for the slow replies.
  • Eh, I think $20 isn't worth very much these days which is part of the problem. I still remember being all excited when I got $20 for Christmas, now it's like, "Oh great...half a tank of gas..."

I am glad for the rain, I just wish it was a little less "omgrainrightnow!" At least now I don't have to worry about all of my oaks dying :)
  • I agree Katie, But I was offering it and I don't actually "have" it to give out but that was the chance I was willing to take since I can't physically go help myself or I would have done that.

I just ordered my first gift for a friends' Wedding in North Carolina in November, I ordered off her registry and I never ordered off one before. I'm cheap so I normally would look at it and go to the store itself. But We don't have that store around here and I actually was able to just get something nice to be sent through the site to her. I'm so happy. aha
  • OK Jenna I'll make sure I send it to you right away.. it may get lost in the rain tho. :-(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards