July 2012 Weddings

Can you Dance?

I'm bored - and spamming The Knot today.

How many of you can dance?

I really want to try that Zumba work-out that is all the hot craze now - and my gym offers classes - which are included in my membership - but I CANNOT in anyway shape or form dance. I took ballet and jazz dancing as a kid - but I guess none of that stuck. I'd love to learn to Salsa - but I can't move my hips! Haha..

I did put the zumba DVD on hold at the library :: blush :: So I'll look a fool in my own living room.

So how many of you are pretty decent dancers?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Can you Dance?

• i actually am a decently good dancer....i love going to the front of my zumba class and adding in extra booty shakes even when we aren't instructed to ;) i took years of dance classes when i was younger so i at least have good rhythm and can move my hips quickly.

but as far as clubbing/wedding dancing goes....i am really awkward! give me a choreographed dance or a pre-rehearsed strip tease and i can shake it....but improvising isn't my thing!

fiance and i are known among our groups of friends for our famous dance moves which include things like the lawnmower, the q-tip, the worm, etc...... we tend to be that awkward couple who everyone stares at on the dance floor because we are so excited and overzealous with our dance moves.  
  • evidence of our awkwardness - my friend took these of us at a wedding we went to a few months ago. we were actually just dancing for these.
  • I can dance but prefer not to. I am sooooooo uncomfortable with having the spotlight put on me.  I love to dance around in my living room but would never take a Zumba class.  I only recently started going to the gym with friends.  Even though I know that people aren't there to look at me and all, it feels really scary for me.  All of this self-consciousness stems from being really overweight for most of my life and I will probably never get over it. 

Umm, just realized this made me sound crazy, haha.  Oh, well.  Feels good to get it out there.
  • ladies, zumba classes are SO MUCH FUN! i totally understand the self consciousness - the first class i ever went to, i just stood awkardly in the back of the room because i felt like everyone was staring at every hip shake that i attempted. but really, everyone is just trying to have fun and feel good about themselves! 

i have seen girls come into zumba classes that have never taken a dance class in their entire lives, and they did just great!  that's the beauty of zumba. the moves are very repetitive and fairly simple in most classes - but they work your whole body because of all the grinding and hip shaking :) and you can make it as high impact or low impact as you want to.
  • um I think I can at least when I am drunk.  Lol if I am not drunk then I am terrible or at least when I drink I think I can but I still can't and at that point I just don't care what I look like!!
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited March 2012
    I am an okay DANCER, but it doesn't really help with Zumba. You just go to have fun and everyone is so worried about following along that they aren't looking at you. It takes a couple classes to really get into it. My BM goes with me and has three left feet, I swear, but after a few classes she had gotten a lot better. If you aren't very good with your hips, you can stand in front of the mirror to get an idea of swiveling and shaking.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar baby development
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_can-you-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:a4d15f19-1412-4431-b6f5-2326287c66a1Post:8e8c7736-c56c-4d32-87c4-ccbcdc7994e3">Re: Can you Dance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]ladies, zumba classes are SO MUCH FUN! i totally understand the self consciousness - the first class i ever went to, i just stood awkardly in the back of the room because i felt like everyone was staring at every hip shake that i attempted. but really, everyone is just trying to have fun and feel good about themselves!  i have seen girls come into zumba classes that have never taken a dance class in their entire lives, and they did just great!  that's the beauty of zumba. the moves are very repetitive and fairly simple in most classes - but they work your whole body because of all the grinding and hip shaking :) and you can make it as high impact or low impact as you want to.
    Posted by butterflyjumper1[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't know why I'm so self concious when it comes to Zumba. I've done all the other classes - and I've even fell flat on my butt in kick boxing - and didn't even care..but for some reason - I'm terrified of Zumba - but it looks like a blast!!

My goal is to work myself up to it sometime this month.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_can-you-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:a4d15f19-1412-4431-b6f5-2326287c66a1Post:498320ff-03f0-4e55-b5f0-305f68c202df">Re: Can you Dance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can you Dance? : I honestly don't know why I'm so self concious when it comes to Zumba. I've done all the other classes - and I've even fell flat on my butt in kick boxing - and didn't even care..but for some reason - I'm terrified of Zumba - but it looks like a blast!! My goal is to work myself up to it sometime this month.
    Posted by BrightFirefly[/QUOTE]

you are nervous because zumba is the only form of group exercise where the teacher will encourage you to drop it like it's hot and that can be scary  :)
  • HAHAHA this thread is cracking me up!

I am a terrible dancer. I was a professional-level ballet dancer when I was younger (it was my first "career"), but what they typically say is that most ballet dancers are both 1) clumsy when not dancing, and 2) terrible jazz/tap/anything else dancers. It's usually pretty true and it's 100% true for me. I have ZERO rhythym - it's seriously embarrassing.

I went to a Barre Burn class the other night and the teacher was a dancer so she had all of these "Vogue" choreographed moves. I was fumbling around like a moron. I looked around the class and most people were, so I felt better.

So, I guess by all of that I meant to say that EVERYONE looks like a lunatic when they're in group exercise classes. I've never tried Zumba because I would probably be so self-conscious that I wouldn't even get a good workout and my time is super limited when it comes to workouts!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am not the worst... and I'm certainly enthusiastic... but I'm not a great dancer either.

Hmm. Maybe I wasn't qualified to answer this question.
    My blog
    "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." -Isaiah 61:10 NKJV
  • It totally depends on what type of dancing you mean. I danced in HS, so I feel more comfortable with choregraphed dancing than improvised. Just having fun on the dance floor, I'm about average but FI really shines. He would definitely pull the moves Butterfly is making in the pics above haha. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am with Lady, I can totally dance....when I am drunk I shake my thang and what not.

I am not horrible when I am sober, but I feel weird dancing in front of other people especially if they are really good. I used to be good in High School, I don't know how the hell I lost it when I got older...weird....

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • The older I get, the more self-conscious I get... so I normally need a drink or two to loosen me up if I'm going to be dancing around others.  I love to dance, though.

I'm with butterflyjumper... FI and I are always the idiots in the middle of the dance floor making asses of ourselves.

"Hey, who are those weirdos doing pushups on the dance floor?"  Hi, that's me.

Never had any interest in Zumba...
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_can-you-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:a4d15f19-1412-4431-b6f5-2326287c66a1Post:9a118cfd-2bbe-451d-8c8b-ca7a844dc59e">Re: Can you Dance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The older I get, the more self-conscious I get... so I normally need a drink or two to loosen me up if I'm going to be dancing around others.  I love to dance, though. I'm with butterflyjumper... FI and I are always the idiots in the middle of the dance floor making asses of ourselves. "Hey, who are those weirdos doing pushups on the dance floor?"  Hi, that's me. Never had any interest in Zumba...
    Posted by k8888[/QUOTE]

I'm actually the opposite of you. The older I get, the more I'm developing that "you don't pay my bills, so I don't care what you think" attitude. :p  But not when it comes to zumba or dancing. lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Bright, you've got to try Zumba!! Ok I've never been to a live class, but I have the Wii Zumba dance party thing and it's a blast! I'm sure the classes are even 10x better! But I think you're on the right path, at least rent it so you can try it out at home in the comfort of your own living room with the curtains drawn ;-)

I loooove dancing! I don't have much professional experience though, I wish I did. I was on a dance team on high school and it was probably the best thing I ever did. I miss performing so much. I also love dancing when we go out. More than anyone else unfortunately. Turns out this part of the country where I live, people definitely aren't known for their skilled and sexy dance moves.... somebody could have informed me beforehand!! FI likes nights out where there's dancing music but he doesn't actually like to dance to it much. Sometimes it really angers me because some Latin songs require dance partners, meaning I either have to beg him, sit it out, or dance alone like a weirdo. But then I remind myself it's not like it's his fault we don't enjoy dancing the same music. And then continue dancing on my own hahaha!
  • I don't dance. I've never been good at it. That being said, as an actress I've been in many musicals. I can make myself follow simple choreography. Just nothing too complicated.

image 180 invited image 145 are ready to party image 35 are missing out image 0! can't find the mailbox rsvp's due back June 20th! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LOL this thread is amazing. I am the. worst. dancer. ever. But that does not stop me. I am on the dance floor the whole time at weddings/parties/clubs. I like to do really cheesy 80s/90s dance moves. Running man, shopping cart, sprinkler, dice. I think if I was shorter I actually might be an ok dancer but I got so many limbs going on that it's hard to control all of them at once. 

We used to do zumba in the lobby when I lived in student housing. It was glorious.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_can-you-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:a4d15f19-1412-4431-b6f5-2326287c66a1Post:5b1694d7-cdc2-4cb9-9e26-525a7b6d8b74">Re: Can you Dance?</a>:
    [QUOTE] I think if I was shorter I actually might be an ok dancer but I got so many limbs going on that it's hard to control all of them at once. 
    Posted by MeaganR12[/QUOTE]

I actually understand this! I'm nowhere as tall as you are, but I have abnormally long limbs and I still don't understand how to control them. And it only gets worse when trying to twirl with a partner in Latin songs.... I've been known to knock knees and elbow PLENTY of guys in the head. Embarrassing.
  • Uh, nope. Not at all!!! It feels so awkward swaying to something I cannot even hear! Haha
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_can-you-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:a4d15f19-1412-4431-b6f5-2326287c66a1Post:7f87344a-7077-4b6f-852c-94d2671d0c10">Re: Can you Dance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can you Dance? : I actually understand this! I'm nowhere as tall as you are, but I have abnormally long limbs and I still don't understand how to control them. And it only gets worse when trying to twirl with a partner in Latin songs.... I've been known to knock knees and elbow PLENTY of guys in the head. Embarrassing.
    Posted by Nati05[/QUOTE]

I have long limbs too. My Ricardo always calls me a gazelle and stuff. Lol. He's like "Come here with your freakishly long arms and see if you can reach this" haha..

:p We have a lot in common.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love to dance. Growing up we danced all the time in the kitchen. merengue, salsa...Love it!

My FI and I took dance classes last month, now we practice in the kitchen...Smile

191 Invited image 164 Are ready to party!! image 27 Are missing out image 0 Are making me wait imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_can-you-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:a4d15f19-1412-4431-b6f5-2326287c66a1Post:2a52fb7c-ac47-436a-81bb-4b59a25d204c">Re: Can you Dance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can you Dance? : I have long limbs too. My Ricardo always calls me a gazelle and stuff. Lol. He's like "Come here with your freakishly long arms and see if you can reach this" haha.. :p We have a lot in common.
    Posted by BrightFirefly[/QUOTE]

Hahaha we do! My Ricardo calls me a spider, his secret nickname for me is "aracnida." I always complain about having an annoyingly short torso and he's like, can't you see.. you're a spider, all the way! Lol
  • I LOVE to dance!  I've been dancing since I was 5 and because of my brain damage (affects my memory), I'm actually better at improvising than doing pre-set moves these days.  I love Zumba, but if I don't go on a regular basis, I forget the moves and have to start all over and now that we're in the boonies, I can either do a tape in my living room or just start up my dance playlist on the iPad and get my groove on.

I love to dance so much that we're having a post-reception celebration at the nightclub at the resort.  A local cover band that we all know is playing that night.  I've been asked to dance on stage with every band I've ever gone to see play, but I'm not sure how much my dress is going to jack with things that night.  I know I could change before that part, but I want to get as much wear out of that thing as possible!   It will be bustled and I've boogied down in formal gowns many times so hopefully it won't hinder me too much.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards