Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cocktail Hour?

What is the point of this? I like my dad's suggestion to serve wine, cheese, olives, etc with wine but I'm not sure what the point is. I've never been to a wedding that had a cocktail hour. Don't you go from the cermony to the reception and have dinner?

How would you expect someone to eat and then ten minutes later eat a meal? I just don't want to waste money on so much food if every one is going to be so full from cocktail hour.

Re: Cocktail Hour?

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2012
    In my world the cocktail hour is to keep the guests entertained while you finish up pictures.  It also gives the guests an opportunity to meet and greet because sitting down for dinner.  

Have you never had apps before dinner?  It's not unheard of  to server some light fare before a full meal.  In some social circles it's actually expected.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Every wedding I've been to has a cocktail hour. Guests use it to get settled in, say hello to other guests, sign your guest book, drop of their gift/card in the designated spot, and basically just get ready to celebrate.

Even if you are not planning any pictures in between your ceremony and reception, I think you would appreciate some casual socializing time with your guests prior to sitting down to dinner.

However, if you don't want a Cocktail hour, don't have one...it's not a requirement by any means, just a courtesy for your guests.
  • Ok, i think I can picture that. And your right that would be a good idea between ceremony and reception so we can have the pictures done. So just light food like I mentioned? Wine and cheese and olives etc are acceptable?
  • In my area it is not uncommon to serve more food during the cocktail hour than the actual meal. I've never been to a wedding without one, but do whatever you are used to and comfortable with. I think wine and cheese sounds good, maybe if you want add some fruit like grapes
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I’ve definitely never been to a wedding without a cocktail hour. In my area, the cocktail hour can be larger than the reception buffet! We do huge cocktail hours & I happen to like it. But I’ve seen from coming on these boards that it’s not what the rest of the US does. If there will literally be a 10min gap between ceremony/reception, then there is no reason to have a whole separate cocktail hour. Just some appetizers would do. But if it’s anything more than that, then you need to serve something. If you’re having alcohol, make sure to have some heavier apps so that no one gets a little tipsy while waiting for dinner.
  • We are having a cocktail hour.  The coordinator recommends having 2 to 4 appetizers per person which is enough to allow them something to nibble on but wont' fill them up before dinner.

As PP have said it is really up to you.  I am looking forward to it as a way to interact and greet my guests before we sit down for dinner.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards