California-Inland Empire
Options

yard sale

any tips for a successful yard sale?  we're moving again, booo, but i havent had a ayrd sale since i was just a kid.  any advice?  we need to get rid of a lot of our stuff to fit into a smaller place.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: yard sale

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never had one so I am no help. But Aarons Brothers has these paint marker pens that would be really great for a sign. Make sure to google a coupon for it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had a yard sale and it was ok. The best part was that we had alot of furniture to get rid of and we didnt have to haul it, we had people come and take it away :)
    I was so frustrated after a few hours that I was over it though. We packed up everything that was left and took it to the Goodwill. We made about $500 I think so that was nice but I just had such a hard time with people not even haggling but HARRASSING me over 25 cents. The best advice I can give is dont put your signs out unless you are ready for people to start showing up. DH went and put the signs out while I was still setting up......I had so many people just standing around waiting for me and a few even asked if they could go through my garage.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is really awkward Amber. I would have been so uncomfortable. There are serious yard sale people out there.
  • Options
    emilypeachemilypeach member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    whhhaatttt thats craziness amber!! now im nervous! i think its gonna be a drag so we're getting coffe and donuts and a boom box to make it better. we'll see how it goes.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hahahah sounds like you will make the best of it. Coffee makes everything better :)

So I had this one lady that would just haggle on EVERYTHING and I was getting so sick of her that I finally just asked her to leave. We had this nice ac unit that was almost new (we used it for like 2 months) and would have been about $100 new. We were asking $15 I think and she offered us $1 umm.....NOOOOOO! So she didnt buy it. We had a 27" flat screen tv ( 1 1/2 years old) that we were asking $25 for and she offered us $5. I had a pair of Banana Republic dress pants with the tag still on them and I was asking 50 cents and she offered me 25 cents which I finally said yes to just so she would go away. She opens her coin purse and only has $1's so I told her I could give her change. She says no and that she has the change in her car and she would be right back. She brings me a fist full of PENNIES and drops about half of them in my lawn. Turns out she only gave me something like 14 cents.

Can you tell I am still fuming?!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow Amber that sounds like a terrible experience.  I remember having them when I was little and my mom was trying to get rid of all of our baby stuff.  I remember her having large boxes with just tons of clothes and writing on it 50 cents and that helped so people didn't keep asking "how much".  Make sure you label everything clearly and that it's affixed to the items so people dont try to be sneaky.  Make sure you get a yard sale permit from your city too if you need one otherwise you can be fined!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards