Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Gifts for parents

How is this typically done? I found that a lot grooms will give the brides mother a gift and the bride gives the grooms mother a gift.  Is that right?  And what about our dads?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Gifts for parents

• It might be a regional thing...I've never heard of gifting to the MILs alone from the bride & groom.

We didn't get our folks anything but an album of their favorite pictures from the wedding.

They've expressed that didn't/don't need or want "stuff".

Lots of brides & grooms will get their folks giftcards to nice restaurants, tickets to a play/show, a stay at a bed and breakfast, etc., based on the parents' interests.
  • I never heard of that either. We just wrote out nice notes in cards to each of our own sets of parents with a note at the bottom saying we would buy them photos and an album after the wedding.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_gifts-for-parents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:a274cf11-e6bc-4ed3-aebc-264abe84adb8Post:5b82b2e9-77f5-44a2-984a-4f9abf47fe46">Re: Gifts for parents</a>:
    [QUOTE]I never heard of that either. We just wrote out nice notes in cards to each of our own sets of parents with a note at the bottom saying we would buy them photos and an album after the wedding.
    Posted by manjermj[/QUOTE]

I'm a mom and this is all I expect or want.
  • I have never heard of the tradition you have described.  We got our parents engraved picture frames.  We gave them the frames at the rehearsal dinner, and since we didn't have a wedding picture yet, we wrote them notes and put them in the frames.  Then, after we had wedding photos back, we gave them photos to fill the frames.  
  • It's really not necessary but if you want to, it's a nice gesture.  Personally, I got my mom a pretty necklace and my FMIL some earrings.  Sadly, my dad passed away this year, but if he was still here I would have gotten him a frame with something on it about me always being his little girl.  I am not getting anything for FFIL...I told FI that since I bought for the girls, he's responsible for the guys...and I had no idea what to get his dad lol.
  • We bought presents for both sets of parents along with a nice card. I would definitely get something for the dads, even you want to get them something separate and get each person something he/she would like.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_gifts-for-parents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:a274cf11-e6bc-4ed3-aebc-264abe84adb8Post:5b82b2e9-77f5-44a2-984a-4f9abf47fe46">Re: Gifts for parents</a>:
    [QUOTE]I never heard of that either. We just wrote out nice notes in cards to each of our own sets of parents with a note at the bottom saying we would buy them photos and an album after the wedding.
    Posted by manjermj[/QUOTE]
     Great idea! I know that our families would enjoy this more than "stuff". I have been trying to think of the perfect gift, but this idea hit the nail on the head with exactly what I want to do! Thanks for the great idea!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• I would like to get my parents and his parents a night away & dinner at a Bed & Breakfast, but it seems like it will be a big expense. I think they would just as much appreciate a nice card saying we will be giving them a photo album with their favorite pictures from the wedding... which we would be giving them anyway.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards