Canada-Ontario

How much should a violinist duo cost?

I am going to have a string duo play during the ceremony. Since the ceremony is so basic and no frills I needed to have something to set it apart. (it's in the reception location and very plain)

I have received a quote for an hour which is roughly $460. I thought it sounded high but a co-worker said it's pretty average.(Duo D'Amore)

Does anyone have any ideas as to how much a violinist (duo) should cost?

EDITED TO ADD I don't actually need the whole hour.

Re: How much should a violinist duo cost?

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd say anywhere from $200 to $250 per musician is fair, so that sounds about right. You could try asking around, if you're lucky you might be able to find a duo in the $150pp range but that would really be at the low end for an hour long ceremony.

If you want another quote, I can pass on a contact for a cellist.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm paying each of my musicians $150-$200, and that seems to be in the average- to low-end of the price range.  I'd say it's not an unreasonable price but if you want to pay less, there are lots of music students at U of T looking for part-time gigs who would probably play for $150 each.
  • blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I never even thought of students even though there are so many talented ones out there.

Actually I am glad to see the prices are pretty much average and that there may be ones slightly lower.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just a note about music students. I know it's a popular idea to hire students to reduce the cost of music.

The thing is, a GOOD music student (a Faculty of Music student who has experience playing weddings, for example) won't charge a lot less than a professional. A little less maybe, but not a LOT. At that level, they're just as good as the pros and they price themselves accordingly.

A student who charges a lot less may have very little experience doing weddings. I'd highly recommend against hiring someone that doesn't have wedding experience. Just like a photographer, playing in a wedding is more than just the music itself; you have to be on the ball, know how the ceremony is going to flow, and be prepared to deal with changing circumstances.

Sorry to be preachy but believe me, I know what it takes to play a wedding!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not preachy at all. IT's good advice. I prefer to get straight advice than end up regretting something.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi ladies!

I am paying $500 for a violinist and cellist for the ceremony only. I looked at many options and it seemed about standard. Our ceremony is also less than an hour, but they said that they need to contract it for an hour.

It was a steep cost, but I think it will add so much!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • StephieBowStephieBow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just thought I'd throw mine in.. I'm getting a professional piano player and singer for $350...

they will play for 30 minutes before the ceremony, during the ceremony and for a bit while people are leaving... so.. aboutt 2 hours worth of their time.
    Anniversary image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards