Illinois-Chicago

are you planning on switching shoes at the reception?

I have my perfect wedding shoes:

and the heel is not too bad but I do not wear heels too often, I'm more comfortable in wedges or flip flops. So I've been hunting for shoes to change into at the reception. I don't really want flip flops, even though I do have these:

Would wedges look strange? many of the ones I'm seeing have a cork wedge and I would get a pair I could wear again. I also found a pair of flat blingy sandles at Nordstrom.com I love but they are flats--my heels are probably 3 inches high.

AH what to do!?

Re: are you planning on switching shoes at the reception?

• barbbhowwbarbbhoww member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had 3 inch heels for the ceremony and picture (see siggy) and got white wedges for the reception and I am SOO glad I did.
    It's time. Adoption saving and process started in November 2012.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I am going to wear some shoes (not yet determined) for outside ceremony, then switch to my 3" heel dance shoes for reception. I cannot wear my dance shoes outside, as it will ruin the sole.

So, yeah, still on the hunt for the right shoe to wear pre-ceremony and ceremony. Need something that can handle grass for the walking down the isle.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not planning on switching shoes.  I live in heels, so it's no sweat for me.  I'll probably get a pair of wedges just in case, though.
    image **Married 7/9/11**
  • WinterWed17WinterWed17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm planning on having a cute pair of ballet flats on hand in case my heels get to be to difficult to dance in by the end of the night. Also, planning on wearing them as we walk from photo op location to location before the wedding. Don't want to give myself blisters prematurely before the ceremony.
  • edited December 2011
    speaking of switching from heels to ballet slippers or other flats, how do you alter your dress so that it doesn't drag on the ground when you go from high heel to low? I've been having this dilemma in my head for some time now.... Any ideas?
  • aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought these for my BM's and I:

http://shop.3sekonds.com/Rolleez_Rollable_Flats_s/21.htm

I like they can fit in my purse in the future :)
  • MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_planning-switching-shoes-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:6842c94f-2ebc-4933-abdb-0df1267611eaPost:a361da93-a313-4159-a874-519fe9aa87cc">Re: are you planning on switching shoes at the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]speaking of switching from heels to ballet slippers or other flats, how do you alter your dress so that it doesn't drag on the ground when you go from high heel to low? I've been having this dilemma in my head for some time now.... Any ideas?
    Posted by sveta22m[/QUOTE]
    This is exactly my problem as well! Any one have any advice?
  • edited December 2011
    I was also going to ask about the dress dragging since you said your heels are 3 inches. I think at a certain part of the night it won't matter:)  If you haven't had your dress altered yet, I would bring your heels and your flats with you and see if they can create some sort of happy medium between the two lengths. I will be changing my shoes, but I also will be changing into a short reception dress at about 10pm.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I wore these the entire day (slight wedge):

All of my BMs switched to gold flip flops or flats for the reception, but their dresses were short.  I'm not sure how do account for the dress length..
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not planning on switching shoes but I wear heels all the time and am not worried about my feet. I'd imagine going for a lower wedge would be better for the dress then a flat or a flip flop though. I guess it also depends on how much you are worried about your dress.
    Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I'm in heels all day long, but i'm going to bring flats with me only for the dancing part.  Unfortunately my dress is just going to drag when I switch, but oh well :(
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Mrs Paps,
    Chiming in late here. I don't wear high heals very often. Although I am a professional I don't stand on my feet all day when I do wear heals.
    I had beautiful 4" heals for my wedding. I put the little pads in them. It did not help.
    My feet were killing me about an hour into the pics. By the end of the ceremony I had them off.
    I brought beautiful little gold kitten heals to wear for the reception but alas it was too late. I wish I had worn them for the entire wedding. My feet killed all evening because of the higher heels and the pads. I took out the pads and the sticky stuff got on my feet. I think that had something to do with it.
    I was sooooo sorry I just didn't opt for the kitten heals all night, that was my only attire regret for the day.
    Getting closer for you!!
  • edited December 2011
    I plan on having wedge flip flops with me in case I need to change out of my heels (which I'm sure I will). As far as the dragging on the floor, there's really no avoiding it for me. The dress will get dirty underneath no matter what, I'm more concerned about tripping. I'll just pick it up an inch or so as I need to.
  • joo6758joo6758 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm switching shoes to sparkly sandal flats. Since your dress will be long (most likely) no one is going to see you feet :) so no need to suffer in high heels!
  • edvedv
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I brought flip-flops to change into but remained bare foot for the most part once the dancing started!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards