July 2013 Weddings
Options

hey Flutter!!

You deal with fabric and it just occured to me you probably know the answer to my question.

FI and I are doing a DIY tufted headboard. I had purchased an extra wide satin tablecloth to finish it today but when we started stapling it to the back the fabric started to "run"

What would be a better fabric to use and do you know of any online sites that sell in extra wide??  I need something thats at least 108" wide and the only thing I keep coming across is either muslin or broadcloth. What would you suggest? I haven't the smallest clue what either feels like..   Thanks so much!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: hey Flutter!!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_hey-flutter?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:9646ecb4-cdb5-4c46-b8b1-1e38dd2bd3c2Post:2a24b0c7-b1bd-47f5-8ab8-4423805a4e80">hey Flutter!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]You deal with fabric and it just occured to me you probably know the answer to my question. FI and I are doing a DIY tufted headboard. I had purchased an extra wide satin tablecloth to finish it today but when we started stapling it to the back the fabric started to "run" What would be a better fabric to use and do you know of any online sites that sell in extra wide??  I need something thats at least 108" wide and the only thing I keep coming across is either muslin or broadcloth. What would you suggest? I haven't the smallest clue what either feels like..   Thanks so much!
    Posted by Getting2Vowels[/QUOTE]<div>
    <div>How tall is your headboard?  Would you be able to just run the fabric the other way and purchase a 108" length of a smaller width fabric instead?  108" seems really huge!  Tell me more about this project.</div><div>
    </div><div>Satin is a pain in the butt to work with.</div><div>
    </div><div>Muslin is typically an unfinished/griege fabric used for making mock-ups and transferring patterns on to.  I wouldn't consider using it for a finished product.</div><div>
    </div><div>Broadcloth is a pretty standard woven fabric that comes in a huge range of qualities. </div></div><div>
    </div><div>You should be able to find either in any fabric store or craft store with a fabric section.</div>
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    The headboard is 4 ft tall by 69in wide...its basically just a tad wider than our queen size bed. Our bedrooms pretty big..and the first thing you see when you walk in is the half wall where the bed is so I wanted tall something to make a statement. The cheapest muslin I found was about 7 a yd. That was unbleached..whatever that means lol. The Broadcloth was a little more at 12. We only have one fabric store and they dont sell anything wider than 80 inches...definitely too small bc this will be tufted so I need enough to pull through the 4 inches of board and backing. Do you know of any online fabric stores that might have something cheaper in that width?

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    So you're trying to get away with no seam on the top? Let me do some digging and I'll get back to you.
  • Options
    Right. And thanks!!!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Fabric.com has a bunch of 108" prints :)  maybe you can find one you like?  A lot of them appear to be quilting backing, but that should mean its a bit heartier ;)
  • Options
    Funny you mention that site. I was going to order the muslin but wasnt sure if Id like it. Quilt backing sounds good.. im going for all white so hopefully they have that.

Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards