Plus-Sized
Options

Any guess on how far in I can get my dress taken?

When I went dress shopping, I was wearing size 24 jeans. I tried on a size 22 dress, which of course was too small, but I got the general idea of how it'd look and I love it. So we ordered the dress in a 24.

Well since then, my size 24 jeans are so loose that the other day, they fell to my ankles while I was at home. I knew they were getting too loose because I was constantly pulling them up, but DAMN.

My 22's are getting the same way. I've been tracking my calories with a really neat app on my phone and I'm seeing results. Today I started taking Alli and this week, my fiance is going to show me around the gym he goes to, so we can go together.

The point is: I'm losing weight and I'm not going to stop. How far in can a seamstress take in my dress? I know it depends on the syle, but does anyone have a similar experience?

Re: Any guess on how far in I can get my dress taken?

• Options
    angela_294angela_294 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited January 2013
    this is not my experience but a friend of mine's who I was a maid of honour for.

She's really tiny (Korean, 4'11'' and about 100lbs) and wears about a size zero- if not smaller in things. When we went dress shopping we were on extreme time constraints because her wedding was three weeks away. She was only allowed to pick dresses off the clearance rack. She ended up picking a dress that was a size 8... and it was brought down to her size and looked flawless.

It all depends on the seamstress I guess but if you have a really good one I'm sure she could make everything work perfect like it did with my friends.

And my friend's dress was a herringboned fitted top, with lots of sparkles and a ballgown bottom (one piece)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_any-guess-on-how-far-in-i-can-get-my-dress-taken?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:7a8dbcaf-883d-4557-9e89-8f5b9a04b8c3Post:cb47e8f0-680c-4046-b63b-d7e31120f7c0">Any guess on how far in I can get my dress taken?</a>:
    [QUOTE]When I went dress shopping, I was wearing size 24 jeans. I tried on a size 22 dress, which of course was too small, but I got the general idea of how it'd look and I love it. So we ordered the dress in a 24. Well since then, my size 24 jeans are so loose that the other day, they fell to my ankles while I was at home. I knew they were getting too loose because I was constantly pulling them up, but DAMN. My 22's are getting the same way. I've been tracking my calories with a really neat app on my phone and I'm seeing results. Today I started taking Alli and this week, my fiance is going to show me around the gym he goes to, so we can go together. The point is: I'm losing weight and I'm not going to stop. How far in can a seamstress take in my dress? I know it depends on the syle, but does anyone have a similar experience?
    Posted by CourtaniaLynn[/QUOTE]

Most dresses can be taken in two sizes before it loses the structure of the gown.

Also, keep in mind, a wedding gown size 24, is probably a street size 18/20.  I am a street size 16 in my regular clothes, my wedding gown was a size 20.  Wedding gowns are sized quite differently than regular clothes.  So, if you get down to an 18, your 24 might still fit.  If you get down to a 16, it can still probably be taken in enough (depending on the dress).
  • Options
    Awesome, I feel much better now. Thanks!
  • Options
    If you're really curious - look up the measurements for your dress and then take your own measurements and compare.

I lost about 2 pants sizes between buying my dress and the wedding, it wasn't really a problem to bring the dress in.
  • Options
    Well I'm going in for my "first fitting" this Saturday, so I guess we shall see then. I still have four months to go, though, and I'm averaging losing a pound every week.
  • Options
    Does your dress have a corset back?   Also, if it's an A-Line, it will be more forgiving with being taken in.  If there is a lot of beading on the bodice, it will be more expensive to take in, but it can be done. 

It totally depends on the dress and where you are losing the weight.  For example, if you are losing the weight mostly in your butt, and your dress is a mermaid cut, you might have to have more taken in. If your dress is an A-Line, and you are losing it in your butt, it won't make much of a difference. 

Good luck with your fitting !
  • Options
    Ahhhh.  Pretty !!   I think, unless you have come down a LOT LOT, you shouldn't have any problems with taking in that dress.
  • Options
    Hurray! I guess I'll find out for sure on Saturday :)
  • Options
    as we know, most of people would like to prepare their dress very early before their wedding. if you could  lose weight till 3.5 months left, then just keeping . and order your fav bridal dress. and surely, you have to confirm the finish date with tailor or shop where you buy before you place the order.
  • Options
    First of all, congrats on the weight loss!  Like cmg said my experience was two dress sizes - that was what the DB seamstress told me she could do before she would start to lose the shape/structure of the dress. 

But because of that, and because I told them I was planning to lose weight for the wedding, once I hit two sizes smaller I went in with my untouched dress they exchanged it for the smaller size, so in case I continued to lose weight they would still be able to take it in.  Since DB dresses can come in pretty quick it would be worth asking, especially if you're already pushing the limits of the seamstress's ability with the weight you've lost to date.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards