Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Engagemnet party gift registry??

So our enegagemnet party is in May, the invites are already ordered, but I recently got some advice from a few married friends saying that they wish they had registered in time for their engagement party so people would've know what they needed instead of getting them random gifts they didn't need. Is it appropriate to let guests know where you're regsitered fr the engagement party or is that tacky?  If so,  since the invites are already ordered, should we include an extra card stating where we're registered or just do a word of mouth to whoever RSVP's?

Thanks for the help!!

Re: Engagemnet party gift registry??

• Options
    meganb1977meganb1977 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I'm not sure whether an engagement party is necessarily a gift-giving occasion.  But I think word of mouth if people ask would be fine.  If they want to bring a gift people can also check around to see which store you registered at, they can just find out online if they're computer savvy.

When I registered they gave me cards with my registry information to include with shower/etc. invitations so when you register you may be able to get something like this at no extra expense to give the host(ess) when the invitations are sent out.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Options
    Ditto to PP; the engagement party is an announcement and mingling occasion and it's not traditional for gifts to be presented.

Although lately, I have been to 3 engagement "showers" it feels like where people include those little store cards in the invitations. I'm not a fan, but I don't judge people's choices so if this was the type of party they chose and I chose to attend, I went along with the expectations.

For my engagement party, it was very laid back and we didn't expect presents. In any case it was the familiies and our two closest friends so it definitely wasn't a shower with any shower expectations.
    Vacation White Knot
  • Options
    Don't tell anyone where you're registered unless they ask.  No information about registries should be in any invitation, with the exception of a shower invitation.  Engagement parties are not gift giving occasions so don't expect to get anything, and you might be pleasantly surprised.

• Options
    Thanks for the advice!  Very helpful!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards