New York-Western

Cakes

Where is everyone getting their cakes from?  I know that Dessert Deli and Muscarelles (not sure about the spelling there!) are the big names everyone mentions, but I've heard they are both expensive. It's hard to tell since I can't find any prices listed on the website.  I stopped into Carriage Trade and got a price list from that, but that seemed high to me too--from $2.75 to $5 a person, and we have about 200 people on our guest list.  Is this the cheapest it gets? 

My fiance and I were really interested in cupcakes, but I'm not sure if they would be any cheaper (we just liked the idea of having a variety of flavors for people to choose from).

Any ideas are welcome!  Thanks!

Alison

Re: Cakes

• I used Ohlson's in Clarence. The cakes were delicious and I thought reasonable. We paid around 400 (I think, somewhere around there) for a cake that fed 160 +some leftovers. I highly recommend them.
  • I used Rich's Bakery. My cake was the best wedding cake I have ever had. We had several complaints on it.

I also looked into Ohlson in Clarence. I was very happy with their cakes in the past and would recommend them. We went with Rich's because I was getting married their and their was no delivery charge, aka cheaper.

You also might want to check out Wegmans and/or Tops. I have heard good things about both of them,
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • I did get my cake from Muscoreil's and it was a HUGE hit.  We had a 4 tier cake to serve 250 people and the cost was around $800.  We did have white almond raspberry and half chocolate with raspberry filling.  We also checked out Dessert Deli and Say Cheesecake (they do regular cakes too) and to my surprise Muscoreil's wasn't the highest priced!  Tops does have great cakes as well if you are looking for something cheaper.
  • I would have to say that  Carriage Trade is a wonderful company to work with. I have not used them for a wedding, but for other events and Andy and Shandra are wonderful people and amazing to work with! They will take a rough sketch and create a sugary heaven for you. I know for a fact that they will do cupcakes too!

FYI: a lot of venders don't list prices for items on line, just because their are many factors that go into the product that can change the price. 

Also: money saving tip!!!! You can have the baker make an identical  sheet cake and to be  pre cut and ready to be plated. The bottom tiers of the cake that you and your FI use be "fake" like frosting covered cardboard. Normally you and your FI would do the cutting of the first 2 pieces and then the cake would be taken in to the kitchen to be cut and plated. Their they can do the switch-a-roo and use the sheet cake and no one would ever know!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are using Sweet Beginnings too! They told us that no matter what they wanted us to do they would do it for $400 for 150 people! We are getting Almond white cake with Rasberry Mousse! So good!
  • Dolci on Elmwood!!!
  • We are having our reception at the Millennium so our cake is included w/ the dinner price - so I'm not sure what their normal prices would be. Super yummy cake though, and Claire who is in charge of their wedding cakes is incredibly helpful and easy to work with.
  • we're going with muscoreil's.  SERIOUSLY DELICIOUS CAKE. and i'm not even a huge fan of cake. haha  we're getting their almond raspberry flavor.  we haven't priced it out, but it is seriously heads above the rest as far as taste, so i'll pay what needs to be paid. we booked at a bridal show, and got a free gift certificate to their deli, too!

they also bake a 'top layer' of your wedding cake on your 1yr anniversary for free -- so you don't have to eat the one in the freezer =)

one tip i've heard to keep costs down for large weddings is to have a simple 3 layer cake to cut, and then keep an undecorated sheet cake in the kitchen.  it all looks the same when it's cut up, and you can save a bit of $ on the form/decorations.
  • Oops meant to say above that the cake comes from Butterwood. Everything at our tasting was delish.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards