Chit Chat
Options

for some reason it amuses me when...

someone will put "it's my first wedding" when they are asking for help. I understand some people get married more than once, but do they plan that before they get married? I just feel like it's not a relevant thing to say. Maybe something more along the lines of " I'm new at this" would suffice....am i overanalyzing this?I feel like I see it in a lot of posts
Anniversary

Re: for some reason it amuses me when...

• Options
    I think it's just a habit to say something along those lines when you're doing something you've never done before. I don't think anyone plans on having more than one wedding.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    It amuses me as well. I think it kind of goes without saying most of the time. But as a second time bride I do point out that this is my second most of the time!
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    It amuses me only when they use it as some sort of excuse for not knowing how to properly host.   

In my world, the only difference between a wedding reception and having guests over is it's larger in scale.   The same rules apply.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I bugs me when people say "This is my first AND ONLY wedding".....somehow implying that those of use who have second weddings chose to find ourlselves in this situation, or that our weddings are less special because we've done it before.  I'm sorry, but I didn't choose for my first husband to die when I was 27.   
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_for-some-reason-it-amuses-me-when?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:eb99990c-45e0-4ba8-9524-f55212ef0b3bPost:080605db-31cf-45b1-b61d-28d16cca225e">Re: for some reason it amuses me when...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I bugs me when people say "This is my first AND ONLY wedding".....somehow implying that those of use who have second weddings chose to find ourlselves in this situation, or that our weddings are less special because we've done it before.  I'm sorry, but I didn't choose for my first husband to die when I was 27.   
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>100% behind you on that one Avion! I certainly didn't marry my first husband expecting him to be emotionally abusive and then cheat on me. 
    </div>
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_for-some-reason-it-amuses-me-when?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:eb99990c-45e0-4ba8-9524-f55212ef0b3bPost:080605db-31cf-45b1-b61d-28d16cca225e">Re: for some reason it amuses me when...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I bugs me when people say "This is my first AND ONLY wedding".....somehow implying that those of use who have second weddings chose to find ourlselves in this situation, or that our weddings are less special because we've done it before.  I'm sorry, but I didn't choose for my first husband to die when I was 27.   
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

I have to stop myself from making really biitchy comments when I see this one.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_for-some-reason-it-amuses-me-when?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:eb99990c-45e0-4ba8-9524-f55212ef0b3bPost:080605db-31cf-45b1-b61d-28d16cca225e">Re: for some reason it amuses me when...</a>:
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. It's insensitive and ignorant.

I do read "this is my first wedding" the same way that Stage does, though. I know people whose first wedding they <em>ever </em>attend is their own. I was unable to reach a vendor for a week and when she finally called me back, I told her I was freaking out. She said, "Calm down, I do 200 weddings a year." I had to bite my tongue to stop myself from snapping, "I do ZERO weddings a year and I have questions!!!"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    legitimately, my best friend and her husband wrote their own vows... her lead in (and this is a copy and paste from their website): I said I would never do this…unless I knew it was right. Some might say love is uncertain; heck, with a 50% divorce rate in the US they might be right. I'm sure 50% of folks who say "I do" aren't up at the altar thinking "man, this might be a bad move,"…or maybe they do think that, but whatever, that's beside the point.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    201 Invited image 139 Attending image 20 Declined image 42 Are making me wait image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards