North Carolina
Options

Cake Stand

Any thoughts on a cheap cake stand big enough for a 14" bottom tier?  We can rent one from the cake baker for $25.00...but I'd rather spend less, even if its like metallic spray painted cardboard.  Any thoughts?

Re: Cake Stand

• Options
    NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Check out HomeGoods :o) Or Kirklands (I've just recently discovered this store and they seem to have a good varitey of things).

Michaels also carrys some.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Your not going to save much and think about the time you will spend researching this.  I'd let the baker handle it all.
  • Options
    meredithl618meredithl618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd suggest looking at some of the places mentioned above, but I would caution you against using something really cheap or made out of cardboard. The cake could might be pretty heavy and it would be such a disaster if the stand broke or the cake got messed up.  

I have a couple cake stands at home, both glass and china, and I think they cost more than $25. So, I'm not sure what you'll find for less than that.  But, good luck searching! 
  • Options
    Beth0882Beth0882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The other problem with using the baker's, is that we would have to get it returned to her before the next weekend or she charges us for the purchase of it.  Shelivs in a residential part of High Point, nowhere near any of our family or close friends, so someone would have to go way out of their way to help us out by returning it. 

I have emailed the caterer to see if they have anything we could use, that they could then just take with them at the end of the night.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are making our own out of plexiglass.  Let me know if you would like the instructions.
    TTC#1 since April 2011
    IVF#1 July 2012 5R, 3 made it to blast, sET BFN
    FET#1 Aug 2012 2 blasts transferred BFN
    IVF#2 Oct 2012
    16R/6M/6F
    Beta 1-237.9, Beta 2-566, Beta 3-8657
    US 6w3d shows one baby w/ HB 115
    US 7w1d no more heartbeat/ D&C 11/30/12 normal karyotype
    IVF#3 Mar 2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used a wood disc. Friends had recently cut down a tree. Looked great and went well with our rustic theme.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_cake-stand?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:115Discussion:9464148d-5fd7-4b90-a8a3-5f40846c28f5Post:bc9fdcb6-52d4-4588-b8f8-a764d82cea44">Re: Cake Stand</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are making our own out of plexiglass.  Let me know if you would like the instructions.
    Posted by hmz819[/QUOTE]

I'd be interested in this! I'm in the same boat - looking for a cake stand to buy, too.
    June 2011 Siggy Challenge "Can't Live Without It" Snack
    Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip
    Lucky I'm in love with my best friend!
    June 4, 2011 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    TTC#1 since April 2011
    IVF#1 July 2012 5R, 3 made it to blast, sET BFN
    FET#1 Aug 2012 2 blasts transferred BFN
    IVF#2 Oct 2012
    16R/6M/6F
    Beta 1-237.9, Beta 2-566, Beta 3-8657
    US 6w3d shows one baby w/ HB 115
    US 7w1d no more heartbeat/ D&C 11/30/12 normal karyotype
    IVF#3 Mar 2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I always forget that Home Depot will cut things for you! 
    June 2011 Siggy Challenge "Can't Live Without It" Snack
    Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip
    Lucky I'm in love with my best friend!
    June 4, 2011 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    friesianbridefriesianbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i am going to use a square basket and turn it upside down or  i have used the larger hat boxes work well too!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards