Second Weddings
Options

XP: DH had his cardiac cath...

Yesterday DH went in and had his cardiac cath done. There wasn't much in the line of good news. They tried to keep him awake for it and just give him something to relax, they pumped him full of an anti-anxiety med (7 times the normal dose they said) and it didn't faze him. So all the while they're trying to stab him in the neck to insert a catheter, and he's awake and feeling everything, so he fought them some. Finally they just gave him a general anesthesia and put him to sleep, but he's home and still disoriented from so much drugs over 24 hours later.

They had a really hard time finding insertion points, because DH has had so many surgeries and caths done in his life, that his femoral veins are non-accessible. Because of all of this, and because of DH's allergy to latex, the doctor is about 75% sure that they will not be able to give him a melody valve, which could have been inserted in a cath lab had they not had so much difficulty. So the doctor is looking into another open heart surgery in the very near future.

I'm really worried about him having to have another open heart surgery, because I'm pretty certain i'm not going to be able to get time off for that from work. I had a devil of a time getting time off to come here for just a week for the cath, and an open heart surgery would require a great deal more recovery time before I could bring him home. I may have to leave him out here in St. Louis with his grandparents, I may not even be able to BE here when he's in the hospital having it. Everything is so uncertain... but I wanted to update y'all on how the cath went.

Re: XP: DH had his cardiac cath...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Firey - are you eligible for a FMLA (family medical leave)?  If you worked in a permanent position ( not just on an as needed basis) and more than a specific # of hours (I think it may be 1000 or 1250) in the last year, you should be.   As long as his doctor will sign the paperwork that you need to assist him in his care, your job has to give you the time off and protect your job.  They don't have to pay you however, and I understand that may be the issue.

Keeping Mr.Tiger in our thoughts & prayers. ~Donna
  • Options
    Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Keeping you both in my thoughts Firey.  Do look into FMLA.
  • Options
    fireytigerfireytiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Everyone keeps suggesting FMLA to me, but unfortunately that's not an option for me for another 6 months. :/ The best I can do is beg for some time off from work, and the problem with that is my boss really can't spare me. She's told me when I tried to get time off for the cath, she can only give me so many days, and after that she'll have to replace me. Although she really doesn't want to, she really likes me and says I do an amazing job, she has to make sure the pharmacy is staffed without giving out overtime, because that is forbidden by the company. I'm so worried about everything.

DH says that if I can just get one week off, that will allow me to be there for his surgery and the 6-7 days of recovery time in the hospital, and once released I can bring him home from St Louis to Kansas City. I'm not entirely sure that he'll be able to travel that long of a distance after a surgery like that, but he's been through enough of these in the past that he seems to know pretty well what to expect... We'll see. I don't think I could stand it if he's over in St Louis all that time and I'm back home working in Kansas City, 4 and a half hours away from him. I'm sure his grandma can take care of him during that time, but I feel strongly that I made the vow to care for him in sickness and in health, and I can't fulfill that vow if i'm over 4 hours away. :/ There's just so much that is worrying me right now.
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    (((HUGS)))  I wish you and hubby the best.  You are both in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Options
    handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

We've got you and Mr. Firey in our thoughts!

image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    fireytigerfireytiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! We still have no update from the cardiologist yet,one of the people he needs to consult is not in town until the middle of next week sometime, so we don't know what the next step will be quite yet. We're pretty certain it means open heart surgery, but we don't know when, or what they're planning on replacing the valve with (either an artificial valve or a tissue valve). So now it's just the waiting game. Now if I can just get his family off my back about every little issue... *sigh*
  • Options
    MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You and Mr. Firey are in our thoughts as well... 

See Retread was right we have your back!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards