Christian Weddings

Update on that "cheating" scandal in my class...

My school decided to invalidate an entire question on the exam, which essentially leaves little of the exam left.  My professor essentially revealed to a student that a very similar question would be on the exam, which was based off one of his previous exams on file and there was a model answer for.  About 10 students brought in the model answer and copied long portions of it onto the exam.  The professor also revealed another topic that would be on the exam, but they decided not to cancel that question because it was such a major topic that everyone knew they had to study.  

It works out okay for me, because the question they cancelled I felt I didn't do great on and I didn't spend as much time on it as I should have.  What's really messed up is that the professor miswrote the question initially so it was really ambiguous, so classmates wasted 20 minutes answering the wrong question (I just saved it for last). They then had to rewrite their answer without getting more time, and many students wasted a lot of their time prioritizing that question thinking it would get them a lot of points.  Now it's entirely eliminated, and some students are furious because the exam has become about luck.  Since we are first-year law students and grades are really important, this can affect people chances of getting a job in this economy. 

I feel so bad for everyone... but there's nothing else the administration can do.  If someone leaks this to some of the major legal news blogs, it can tarnish our school's name.  People really dislike the professor to begin with, as he didn't treat us with respect during class (yelling, interrupting, blatant favoritism towards males).  He demanded so much of us (it was twice the amount of work as our other classes), and then we ended up getting tested on very little of it.  There's also like a Cold War silence between classmates now on Facebook...

Re: Update on that "cheating" scandal in my class...

• thats terrible... What type of school is it ? college /university ? Do you fill out evaluations at the end of the semester ? I'd fill it out 100% honestly. Sometimes that's all you can do .

Love is All You Need
  • This is a rather high-ranking law school that has a good reputation.  The professor is tenured and is a bit of a hot shot in terms of prestige and reputation.  Everyone knows how he treats his students, and even though students for years have complained about how he makes students cry in class, nothing has changed.  In fact, he "forgot" to bring in evaluations on the last day of class, and the Registrar had to track us down after our last class to make sure evaluations were filled out.  But the exam came afterwards.  *sigh*  I'm never going to take him again.   
  • Ouch i wouldnt either . I complained about a stupid proffesor before at a community college and I got to take the class again from someone else for free... But that's just silly community college... Gotta love tenure.
    Love is All You Need
  • Holy smokes, G! I hadn't heard about this yet but I can't even imagine how stressful this was for you. I'm glad it worked out for you, but I feel sick thinking of the students who didn't do well because they weren't so lucky. :/ 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Wow, that is crazy. As a fellow law student, I can only imagine the drama. What class was it? I can't believe the school isn't doing something to reprimand the professor (or at least not that you said). My crimlaw teacher during 1L was similar in that everyone feared her, and she was super picky and complicated. I had heard from an alum that at one point, she was failing too many students so the school made her go on sabbatical for a while. After that, she has not failed anyone really, though still gives lots of C-'s. I studied SO hard for that test and was terrified. I managed a B and found it to be a miracle. Stupid law profs. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards