Ohio-Cleveland

NWR: Cleveland Vacay advice?

Hi ladies! Hope your wedding planning is going well. I was hoping some of you might able to offer some Cleveland vacation advice. FI and I are considering a trip in July and were looking for ideas of good places to stay (can splurge a little, we'll take the megabus to town for under $5), special sites to see, good food and anything else helpful. Also was wondering how public transit is since we won't have a car. We are trying to decide between Cleveland and Memphis. TIA
Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio

Re: NWR: Cleveland Vacay advice?

• edited December 2011
    Having lived here, I would go to Memphis...lol
    -This is not legal advice- Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPiclarger_image
  • edited December 2011
    I don't like downtown Cleveland I  lived 30 minutes away for downtown my entire life and never went there.

Tenessee is nice.  If you are looking for a cheap vacation look into a cruise- a couple of years ago we went on a cruise to the bahamas for a couple hundred each and it was really nice :)  Much cheaper than we had thought and all food was included.
    A wedding is a party, not a performance. If at the end of the day you are married to the one you love, then everything went perfectly.
  • edited December 2011
    There are quite a few things to do on a mini-vacation near Cleveland in July. However, without a vehicle, you're really limited and I'm not so sure the trip will be worth it to you.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicVacation
  • JenLeeSJenLeeS member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, please! Cleveland is a wonderful city! People don't take advantage of it nearly enough. I'm so sad to read Clevelanders sending you somewhere else. Hopefully you'll come visit and give our city a try. So here's some advice:

If you're staying downtown, the Hyatt Regency is a cool hotel located in a historic arcade. We're actually staying there our wedding night ... it's great becuase there are plenty of bars/restaurants within walking distance. If you want to splurge, the Ritz Carlton is probably a better choice than Renaissance, which I've heard is a bit out of date. In July, I'd definitely suggest syncing up the dates so you can attend an Indians game. The stadium is definitely within walking distance. Other cool activities within walking distance would be the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame or to go see a show in Playhouse Square (the second largest theater center in the country). You may also want to grab a cab and visit the Cleveland Museum of Art, which is just phenomenal. That whole area around the museum is beautiful and full of plenty of spots to explore.

Also, you'll find no shortage of amazing restaurants in Cleveland. If you like steak, you can't go wrong downtown with any of our steak places downtown, including Mortons, Chophouse, XO, and John Q's. I can guarantee an amazing meal at the Greenhouse Tavern on E. 4th Street. You will also find Iron Chef Michael Symon's restaurant Lola on E. 4th St. You could also take a cab to a neighborhood called Tremont, which has a bevy of wonderful restaurants and shops, including Michael Symon's Lolita.

There is also the lake if you want to rent jet skis or you could rent a car and drive out to Put-in-Bay/Port Clinton area (the Islands, as we say). You could even get a map of northeast Ohio wineries and have a blast that way.

OK, I've gone on long enough. But I love this city. PM me if you have any specific questions!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    How do you know you don't like the city if you admit you never went there?  One of Cleveland's biggest downfalls is people who live there (or near there) who don't realize how great is. The parks, the museums, restaurants, music are all pretty fantastic.   The Metroparks are AMAZING.     

I second everything JenLee said!  I grew up there and loved it.  It is like a smaller Chicago, without as many people living downtown.   Public transportation is good (actually award winning), the buses are good, the rapid is not as extensive as the trains in Chicago by any means.  Cabs are also plentiful.

I would use priceline to get a downtown hotel (with the name your own price feature). We stayed at the same hotel JenLee said for a wedding a year or two ago for $35 + tax (yes, $35).

If you are looking for non-chain places to eat-  I would pick John Qs over the rest mentioned.  Take a quick cab ride and go to Tremont (nice artsy area; Prosperity Social Club, Treehouse, Lolita, Cookie & a Cupcake); take the rapid to 25th St and go to the West Side Market & Great Lakes Brewery (and Nate's Deli for some fantastic Lebanese food!).    Go to the Zoo-  it's more comparible in size to the Brookfield Zoo than Lincoln Park, and it has a rainforest and a new hospital with an education center/observation deck.   

I forget what they are calling the "new" old neighborhood (65th & Detroit)- but check out Stone Mad, Luxe, and a new ice cream shop (think 1950s soda fountain).   If you want to experience Cleveland's version of Beverly,  go to West Park and go to PJ McIntyre's & The Public House. 

You can also take the rapid to Cleveland Hts-  a close suburb that has cute shops and restaurants.   If you like music,  see who is playing at the Grog Shop that weekend, or perhaps even at Cain Park.  

Please PM me if you have any questions!
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • JenLeeSJenLeeS member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ah, there we go! Yay for some Cleveland love! Yes to all of that. Those are wonderful suggestions! I was kicking myself that I failed to mention Great Lakes and the West Side Market -- those really can't be missed if you're traveling to Cleveland. Great call!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Lola's, Lolita's, The Green House, Brasa - All amazing places to eat. On the nicer side.
    If you're adventurous, gourmet hotdogs at Happy Dog?! Lilly's in Tremont for amazing desserts and chocolate. If you like photography, while you're in Tremont check out Apeture. There's so much more is crazy. Coventry Rd. is a good place to go if you like to support local businesses. Cleveland is such a beautiful place full of wonderful people. Please come visit.
  • edited December 2011
    Don't  Forget Little Italy! It is so romantic and you can make an evening out of it !
    Plenty of little artsy boutiques and shops, Amazing restaurants and bakeries. Also a few places for Gelato.  The whole atmosphere is super romantic at night...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards