June 2013 Weddings
Options

Bummed [family issues] need advice!

So I'm having some family issues and I would love to know how you ladies would handle this.

My mother hasn't spoken to her family in almost 24-25 years, she hasn't even been much of a mom to me. We speak rarely and it wasn't until I became engaged that she started putting effort into knowing me. My grandparents basically raised me as their own. They have been there for me consistently through all the ups and downs, even when I had a rebellious period and wasn't the nicest person.

Now my mother wants to come to our wedding, I know she wants to be part of my life more. But I just can't invite her. As much as I wish she could come and be a part of that day-it would be a slap in the face to my grandparents, my aunt & uncle and every other family member that has been there for me even though my mother disowned them.

I just don't know how to have that conversation with my mom. I don't want to hurt her feelings, but she kind of brought this on herself. She wasn't there for so long (disowned me at 16, took my Step-father's side and still has not acknowledged the abuse he did when I was a child) That's the reason she won't speak to her family, she choose her new husband over everything else.

Any advice would be appreciated. As dumb as it sounds, I want to have her in my life so I don't want to be rude to her. I want to find a way to make her understand that it would be devastating to my grandparents to have her there after not seeing/speaking to her in 24 years.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bummed [family issues] need advice!

• Options
    When you look back on your day would you feel bad if she wasn't there? I think that is the ultimate question. If not, then sit her down and just be honest. Thank her for making an effort to be apart of your like but just let her know that your wedding day isn't the time to jump in and do it. I'm sorry if that is blunt but that's how I would put it. 

Have you spoken with your grandparents about the issue?
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, my grandma has brought it up a few times. We talked today and she told me that she would be really hurt if my mother was there. That she(my mom) lost that right when she turned her back on me. The last thing I want to do is hurt my grandma and grandpa. Like I said, they basically raised me. 

I'm dreading having this conversation with my mom. I have no idea what I would say. FI is in agreement with you though, i just need to be blunt and be honest.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_bummed-family-issues-need-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:89658c20-2e24-4b1f-a911-905709280038Post:4c1ef099-bafd-4e3b-9d73-846bde881426">Re: Bummed [family issues] need advice!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, my grandma has brought it up a few times. We talked today and she told me that she would be really hurt if my mother was there. That she(my mom) lost that right when she turned her back on me. The last thing I want to do is hurt my grandma and grandpa. Like I said, they basically raised me.  I'm dreading having this conversation with my mom. I have no idea what I would say. FI is in agreement with you though, i just need to be blunt and be honest.
    Posted by Klyn1983[/QUOTE]
    Yea because on one hand you don't want to hurt her but on the other you don't want to give false hope about her coming. Your day shouldn't be ruined by that.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You just need to sit her down and tell her exactly how you feel. Tell her you appreciate her efforts to reconnect with you, but at this point in time you just don't feel completely comfortable having her at the wedding, You still want to continue working on your relationship with her, but as far as the wedding goes you would appreciate if she understood your side of things.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I agree with the PPs. I would just talk to her and be honest and blunt. It might hurt her, but not as much as she has hurt you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I also have a nominee for mother of the year...

As PP said, she can take a little hurt after what she did to you, especially when she was an adult and you were the child.  Unlike her, you need to support your family and be sure that there is no bad blood or drama on your big day.  Sounds sort of selfish and she will think that when she tells you, but it is all out of your control.  You have to tell her that it is not what is ideal for you, and you wish there would not be a problem, but you have no control over the way your mother or the rest of your family will behave.  For that reason, you can't put them in the same room.

A good way to put it is that you know there is much to work on and things to mend, but your wedding is not the time nor place.  She made the decision to walk out on you and miss this day a long time ago, time to lay in the bed she made.  You are not choosing sides, but you owe it to your family to celebrate with them as they have made you much of what you become.  Maybe one day you could have a vowel renewal and things will be better off and she can watch you then.  

I do agree that you need to take care of this sooner rather than later, so she does not get her hopes up.  And should things change in the next year, then you get to give her good news later.
    June 2013 - Shoe Inspiration
    imageimage
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_bummed-family-issues-need-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:89658c20-2e24-4b1f-a911-905709280038Post:7b4fca98-66a0-4434-b18f-79cb3d0bbec7">Re: Bummed [family issues] need advice!</a>:
    [QUOTE]You just need to sit her down and tell her exactly how you feel. Tell her you appreciate her efforts to reconnect with you, but at this point in time you just don't feel completely comfortable having her at the wedding, You still want to continue working on your relationship with her, but as far as the wedding goes you would appreciate if she understood your side of things.
    Posted by shaylovessly[/QUOTE]

This exactly!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you all so much for the great advice! I know I need to talk to her soon, but I just don't want to have that conversation. :( But i know it needs to happen because I can't let the rest of my family feel awkward. 

It's just a crappy situation. :( 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Aww I'm sorry you're in this position. Good luck, let us know how it turns out. You've got support from all over the country! :-)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Thank you all so much. It's so appreciated! 

i wish we could have a g2g somewhere before june 2013...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_bummed-family-issues-need-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:89658c20-2e24-4b1f-a911-905709280038Post:468207f2-55ff-4c4d-918a-b2cb249db832">Re: Bummed [family issues] need advice!</a>:
    [QUOTE]i wish we could have a g2g somewhere before june 2013...
    Posted by Klyn1983[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Ditto that!</div><div>
    </div><div>Klyn, I'm sorry to hear about this difficult situation. I don't have anything to add to the great advice that PP's have already given. Wishing you the best!

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards