Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Cake or No Cake....

Hey Ladies, I have been pondering a thought and needed some input as my mother and my MOH decided to shoot my idea down! lol

I am getting married next fall, labor day weekend.  the theme of our wedding is very fall, casual, rustic, kind-of making it my own thing if you will!  we have been trying to figure out what to do for our cake as we do not have a huge budget.  I was going to do a small 2 tiered cake and then sheet cakes for the guests.

However, i came across what i thought was a neat idea in "Brides" magazine.  Instead of doing cake, the couple supplied different types of homemade pies; apple, pumpkin, berry.  I thought the idea would really work with our theme! 

I thought of making a few different kinds of pies and putting one on each table on a cake stand.  that way each guest could eat a slice from the flavor on their table or share with other tables.  We would still have our small two-tiered cake for my FI and I, and possibly a small grooms cake for those guests who REALLY wanted cake!

Any thoughts!?!?!?

Re: Cake or No Cake....

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it sounds like a really cute idea. However, if you are going to have cake make sure you have enough for everyone too. What if you have people who don't eat pie and want cake, or the people who want both or simpley just want to try it, etc. You definitely don't want to run out and have to tell your guests "Oh, I'm sorry we are out of that"

But I definitely think the pie idea would be adorable with your theme.
    I'm a Mrs & My Honeymoon Memory
    imageimage
    Wedding Items For Sale
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There is nothing wrong with not having cake.  Will some people be disappointed? Sure, because those people love cake.  Will others be happy?  Sure, because those people don't like cake.

Do what works best for your wedding theme and budget.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love the pie thing.  Like, LOVE it.  But I think realistically if you put different flavors at each guest table people are going to think they're stuck with whatever filling is at their table.  I'd suggest doing a pie "bar" with all the different pies at one place so that guests know that they're all welcome to each kind. 

I see no problem with a small cake and just placing the slices out along with the pie.  
  • Options
    utegogglesutegoggles member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the idea, but I'd be one of those people who wouldn't have dessert because I don't like pie. Maybe some cookies too as alternatives?
  • Options
    peanutty2peanutty2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't like the idea of having a cake for you and not for others.  I think people are going to see you cut it and then want a piece themselves and be disappointed when you say "uh, no that's a private cake, you get pie". 

That said, I love the pies idea!  I went to a wedding where each table had it's own cake but some were vanilla and some chocolate.  There were definately people getting up and trading cake slices. I really liked that it got a little bit of interaction going. 
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Make room for me at the "would be disappointed" bench.  The cake is what I look forward to the most at a reception and I happen to be one of those people who really hates pie.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of the input ladies!

If i could have a 'two-tiered pie' I WOULD! I am NOT a cake person at all, but that makes sense that some people may be dissapointed in not being able to have cake!  I like the 'pie-bar' idea!  I could possibly do that along with the sheet cakes or a bigger grooms cake to accomodate the cake lovers!

Again i just LOVE pie and i thought it would be something different! Thanks again ladies!
  • Options
    gmnidrmgmnidrm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have to agree with bride on this one. First off, where did all the "cake-lovers" come from??? lol. Most of my experiences at weddings is that people could care less about cake. To me, most guests usually only eat cake to be polite....cause it's the thing to do, it's tradition. Second, the bride isn't a "Cake Person" by all means don't feel locked into something that you  don't care for when now there are sooooo many options out there. After all, when was the last time you heard guests complain at a wedding because there was no cake served in lew of some other dessert offered?

I think with your budget and VERY CUTE theme pies are a great idea! But I too think a "Pie Bar" is the way to go and go ahead and add cookies (if your budget allows) for those guests that may not care for pie. Bottom line It's YOU and your new husband's day Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    colourzcolourz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't like pie and would be very disappointed. Even if I did like pie, I would not feel comfortable going to stranger's tables and taking pie. I concur with having a pie bar along with a sheet cake.
  • Options
    BinxRoseBinxRose member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the pie idea...but im biased because we are just getting a "show cake" and my dads wife is making cheesecakes and pies for the real dessert!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards