Missouri-Kansas City

Hotel block- how many rooms to book?

I'm looking into booking a hotel block for our wedding. I'm not sure how many rooms I should book, however. We have 144 OOT guests, and they are 78 singles, couples, or families (so potentially 78 rooms). Some of the single people might stay together, especially the younger ones, and a few might stay with friends or family in the area. I'll probably book at two hotels in different prices ranges, and I was thinking of booking 15-20 rooms at each, or maybe just 10 at each. How many OOT people will you have, and how many rooms are you booking? Thanks!

Re: Hotel block- how many rooms to book?

• edited December 2011

We have about the same number of OTT guests. We also need different rooms (1 bed, 2 beds, etc.). I blocked 30 rooms (some singles and some doubles) by the KC airport and 25 (some singles and some suites) at a hotel downtown (by our reception venue). That was the maximum number of blocked rooms I could block at a time at each hotel. Both said that it is not a problem to add more blocks as the original ones fill up. We just asked our guests to reserve rooms early. Also, we are not obligated to pay for any rooms blocked that were not reserved, so I would go ahead and block as many as the hotel will let you, just to be safe.

The event planners at the hotels will help you out with all of this and will even provide lists of who has reserved rooms to help you keep track.

Good luck!

• edited December 2011
    We have quite a few OOT guests as well.  We initially only blocked the minimum number because we wouldn't havae to pay for any unused rooms, and we can add as many rooms to be blocked as we need if those fill up.  Which is nice, because then we can just block what we need.
  • edited December 2011
    We have a similar amount and we reserved blocks of 25 rooms at two different hotels, so a total of 50.
  • edited December 2011
    I believe we booked 15 rooms total for our wedding, which was the max our hotel would allow. We didn't have TOO many OOT guests though, and I never heard if they all got used or not. It's ok to book more than you think - you won't be charged for extra rooms. They'll just 'un-block' the rooms a few days before your wedding if there are still some unused.
  • sarabeth14sarabeth14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, everyone! I'm still not quite sure, but that helps some. I may ask the hotel how many they recommend with that number when I block it. I know the hotels we're looking at won't charge us if we don't fill up the block.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards