Indiana

Indiana Liquor Laws

Does anyone have the faintest clue where I can research Indiana liquor laws?

My FI wants his dad to make us wine for our wedding. They swear up and down that he was able to do this for FI's brother and cousin previously. My friend told me she was able to bring her own wine to her wedding and then bought the beer from the place that she was having to do the catering and bartending.

However, when I just called a place about if we could bring our own wine and buy the beer from them, they said no because it was illegal. Something about taxes and excise.

I'm kind of lost right now one where I could even find information regarding this.

UPDATE: I just called another place and he explained the law to me. He said once his company brings in beer with his license, other alcohol cannot be brought in by others. I think the only way we'll be able to bring our own wine is if we buy all of the alcohol ourselves and then hire a private bartender. I'm not sure if that is worth the trouble.

Re: Indiana Liquor Laws

• marateamaratea member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, what that guy said is correct. My cousin brought in all the wine and beer at her wedding, but they had to buy it all and pay for a bartender and security. We weren't allowed to bring in our own alcohol at our reception hall, but the lady did let H and I bring in one bottle of wine that we were saving for our toast. So, maybe if it's only one bottle it would be ok? Where in Indiana are you getting married? Beer prices are going to be going up soon. My husband works for Miller/Coors, and he can get beer at-cost. If you're getting married in N. Indiana, I might be able to get you cheaper beer, but only Miller/Coors products.
  • edited December 2011
    That is correct. In my case, we are using a golf course, which operates a full bar year round, as our reception venue. Which mean all alcohol must be bought through our venue. But fiance' and I both having been bartenders for years knew this ahead of time.

If you want to find out more check out the Alcohol and Tobacco Coallittion's website: http://www.in.gov/atc/index.htm.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Birdie1483Birdie1483 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys! We're getting married in Southern Indiana next November. It'll be at a place that we rent but are responsible for bringing in everything. I think we're just going to get everything from a local caterer. I think it's going to be too much trouble to do otherwise.
  • edited December 2011
    we have family friends that own a winery, so naturally we want to get the wine from them.  They were saying the way to get around the law would be that the company doing the bartendering could buy the wine from directly from them (for like $1). i haven't looked into it yet so i'm not 100% sure its legal. haha

i'm from newburgh, in. where are you getting married & reception?
    edited December 2011
    Discovery Lodge in Evansville :) You?
  • sallyannleilasallyannleila member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am trying to find out about doing my own wine and beer in an old barn I am renting in Michigan City, IN, that is not an official venue.  Our caterer does not have a liquour license so I think we should be able to do this but I'm not sure....
    edited December 2011
    sally, I think as long as your caterer and venue don't have their own liquor license or provide alcohol, you should be fine. I would do some calling around though just to make sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards