Destination Weddings Discussions

Hi am Shekeita!

My partner of 5 years and I live in Atlanta. We have been engaged for 2 years now. We have yet to decide on a date because I keep getting sick and we use our wedding money for my care. We are hoping to FINALLY be able to get married in the spring of 2014. We would like to do a DW or a cruise to some where beautiful and romantic. We know we want to do it on the beach or in a beautiul garden. Any recommendations on where to start planning? I have no idea where to go from here. We have a small budget of no more than $5,000 for everything....maybe a little under. Is this even doable? 

Re: Hi am Shekeita!

• Julyet06Julyet06 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2012
    Welcome and congratulations!  I believe it's definitely doable but it depends on certain factors.  I think the most important factors are the number of people you expect to invite and then the place you choose because flight prices can be insane during certain times of year to certain places.  You mentioned getting married in spring...this I believe is peak travel time BUT you may still be able to pull it off with your budget depending on the # of people you intend to have there with you and the location you choose.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Welcome!

Well, you definitely have tons of time to do research and plan with a 2014 Spring date!

For cruises itself - booking this far in advance actually doesn't really save you very much money (if anything at all) --at least not that I've found and I've been on about 6 cruises. You can sometimes get good deals through travel agents. Also - if you pick a time that is right after or right before a standard vacation time (so right after spring break or right before) you tend to find deals on cruises because a lot of families wouldn't take their kids out of school for a trip. As far as planning a wedding on a cruise, I'm not a whole lot of help there but you could check out www.cruisecritic.com -- they have a forum (just like the theknot!) and there is a Wedding & Honeymoon board which might also be able to provide more information specifically on that option.

I think some of the other ladies also liked Beach Bum Vacations as travel agents to help plan a  DW wedding. I'm not sure if they have minimums as far as what they would work with but it couldn't hurt to contact them to see what your options are?

I think the biggest factor (like Nicole mentions) will be how many people you are thinking of having.

Good Luck!
  • Welcome and congratulations I agree with Nicole and it is doable depending on what you are looking for. It does also depend on where you want to go, if you have decided to have a reception there, at home, or not at all. 1 thing I have noticed is some receptions at an all inclusive still cost a little money depending on how you do it . If all inclusive is the way you go some Resorts let you have a semi private dinner in 1 of their restaurants for free for up to a certain amount of people. Do you have any ideas on where you want to go?
    Anniversary
  • Op my finger was trigger happy! Sorry I am no help on the cruise front but we do have a couple girls who can chime in on those!!
    Anniversary
  • Loveeeeee Jamaica!!!! Beautiful place. I'm getting married in Cozumel tho. Welcome !
  • Welcome Shekeita!!!!
    I am a cruise bride going to St. Thomas but Jamaica was a very close second for us!! I think booking early may save a few dollars, for us we save about 135 dollars each.. Cruise lines generally drop prices and raise prices throughout the year so there was a lot of checking back, looking at prices, and getting a credit back,Good luck with researching and I will be happy to answer any questions for you while I am still around: CONGRATS!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards