Snarky Brides
Options

Can you give me some garden advice?

So I know some of you ladies are SERIOUS gardeners. I am not. Yet. I'm hoping to build a garden box this weekend so that I can put a garden in my back yard. We have clay for "soil", so I think I'm going to need to fill this garden box with potting soil. So here's some questions:

1. How deep should the soil be to grow some simple veggies/herbs?
2. Should I consider putting chicken wire around the garden? We have racoons/bunnies/ other furry creatures in our area. Are there other natural deterants I should use/plant?
3. What kind of plants would you suggest I start with, given that I'm not well versed in gardening, and that we get partial/75% sun in the yard (in other words, it's not an open field with LOTS of sunlight).

Any help/advice you can give would be AWESOME!

Re: Can you give me some garden advice?

• Options
    2. Yes to chicken wire. Bone meal also dissuades animals, rabbits especially. Black pepper works for rabbits too.
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited March 2012

2) yes

3) plant what you will eat. Beans, tomatoes and peppers (little dudes) are wicked easy.

Also, id suggest you get transplants instead of planting from seed (for most things, plant your beans from seeds). You should search out good nurseries in your area and speak to someone there, they might be able to guide you in a good direction (for your location and for your sun/soil). I buy my plants from 3 different places (2 nurseries and 1 farm),  because different places are better at different things ive found. 

• Options
    Instead of filling the box with potting soil, try a mixture of garden soil, compost and potting soil. 

I'd suggest a depth of at least 8-12". We have a raised bed on a gentle slope, and it's depth measures from about 5" (herbs) to 18" (tomatoes, cucumbers, etc).
  • Options
    Here (clicky) is a good tutorial on building the box.
  • Options
    I think a depth of 12-18 inches would be good for most things, you could get away with less for herbs and lettuces. I don't know about the critters, because I garden on my balcony. 

I agree with Nebb, grow what you'll eat. I like starting from seed, because it's cheaper, but it might be late for that. I started most of my seeds months/weeks ago. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I try to garden but I am miserable at it.  Yet, I can grow tomatoes and zuchinni.  So, I'd plant at least one of each of those so you have some sucess and don't get too discouraged.  :)  Good luck!  
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    1. How deep should the soil be to grow some simple veggies/herbs?
         *herbs and most basic greens only need a few inches.  i do mine 6"
         *tomatoes prefer 1ft or more depth due to a typical 10" taproot

2. Should I consider putting chicken wire around the garden? We have racoons/bunnies/ other furry creatures in our area. Are there other natural deterants I should use/plant?
         *Definitely!  Protect your little sprouts or they will get eaten.

3. What kind of plants would you suggest I start with, given that I'm not well versed in gardening, and that we get partial/75% sun in the yard (in other words, it's not an open field with LOTS of sunlight).
          *Try a little of everything!  I think my first garden was pole beans, tomatoes, watermelon, and spaghetti squash.  I got at least some veggies from everything, and it was a great learning experience.  Herbs are great!  Go wild with them.  Some grow with barely any help.
  • Options
    Hmm I guess I have to plant this weekend. I think I am a little late. Now I want to buy some beans if they are easy.

I don't think I would have a problem with squirrels or bunnies, but I might with birds. Do they eat my little seeds and stuff? How do I keep them out, chicken wire over the top?
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    Ive never had my seeds eaten, only plants and actual beans. I just make holes in the ground with my finger and plop the bean seed in, water it and let it do its thang. I never plant my beans till may, but I live in 6b Canada.
  • Options
    I really want these so bad. I want all the colors!

• Options
    NebbNebb member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-you-give-me-some-garden-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:00f23ef4-91e5-4d54-a746-e7fe2d73bdaePost:6e59351a-7359-49d6-92be-96ba6fa046ac">Re: Can you give me some garden advice?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really want these so bad. I want all the colors!
    Posted by ahhhitsshannyn[/QUOTE]
    Ive had my eye on those, I just dont use cages. I get the big ass bamboo poles for my tomatoes. I plant a lot of indeterminant tomato varieties so some of those suckers get BIG, cages are no good for those.
  • Options
    I'm still not sure if I am going to do tomatoes yet, since I don't like them. But I figure I can give them away. I was thinking about putting some plants in my flower beds around the yard and putting the cages over them until they get settled so my damn dogs would leave them alone. But that might not work. I built something similar to this so they would stay out of my veggies

• Options
    NebbNebb member
    I only like my tomatoes either in salads (not lettuce salads) or cooked. I dont know why I love growing tomatoes considering I dont really eat them, I just love planting them.
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-you-give-me-some-garden-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:00f23ef4-91e5-4d54-a746-e7fe2d73bdaePost:40a57048-1de1-446c-a2e0-e189ad2f4d62">Re: Can you give me some garden advice?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love fresh tomatoes.  I'd eat them like apples if they weren't so messy. I usually slice them and sprinkle with a little salt. NOM
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]
    Gotta get you a different kind of tomato then! Theres lots that have very few seeds so theyre less messy!
  • Options
    Okay you've talked me in to it. I am doing my planter similar to how yours is going to be set up duds, so I have a space for them.

Is there an easy variety or are they all about the same?
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-you-give-me-some-garden-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:00f23ef4-91e5-4d54-a746-e7fe2d73bdaePost:fa911566-97a2-4e70-b42b-b284fd8d3eaf">Re: Can you give me some garden advice?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay you've talked me in to it. I am doing my planter similar to how yours is going to be set up duds, so I have a space for them. Is there an easy variety or <strong>are they all about the same</strong>?
    Posted by ahhhitsshannyn[/QUOTE]
    <p>*dies a little inside*</p><p> </p><p>Growing tomatoes is pretty easy and theyre all similar to some degree. If you just get a general beefsteak or plum or roma or whatever from the nursery its pretty standard. There are hundreds (my farmer sells 600) varieties of heirlooms that are all a little different, have different growing needs and come in a wackton of sizes. Im an heirloom junky.</p>
  • Options
    Shan, it depends on what you want to use the tomatoes for. Some work better for canning, some are better for eating fresh, etc. 

I picked one type of cherry because I use them on salads all the time, one type of Roma/paste because those are best for preserving, and one big variety to eat fresh for caprese salad, sandwiches, stuff like that. I also tried to make sure I picked pretty ones. 

Photobucket
  • Options
    I think I will just start with beefsteak. They look cool Cool

But honestly I am a garden novice and everything will probably die so I am getting ahead of myself. Although, I bought a little potted strawberry plant that had one tiny strawberry on it and now it is a real BIG strawberry! This is a victory I promise, I am no green thumb.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-you-give-me-some-garden-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:00f23ef4-91e5-4d54-a746-e7fe2d73bdaePost:6afaa5f8-5eb5-4412-ae7d-322dd914b729">Re: Can you give me some garden advice?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Shan, it depends on what you want to use the tomatoes for. Some work better for canning, some are better for eating fresh, etc.  I picked one type of cherry because I use them on salads all the time, one type of Roma/paste because those are best for preserving, and one big variety to eat fresh for caprese salad, sandwiches, stuff like that. I also tried to make sure I picked pretty ones. 
    Posted by RupertPenny[/QUOTE]

That's what I've got too.  Better Boy for sandwiches, Roma for canning and pastas, a pretty striped heirloom, and two varieties of cherry tomatoes to eat while I'm working in the garden  ;)
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    Im planting 2 black tomatoes (I was going to say black's but I figured I should specify...), 2 white varieties, a pink, yellow, 2 greens, a red and one or two striped varieties. I love their names too - Snow White, Striped Monastery, Hillbilly, Carbon. Last year I did Kelloggs Breakfast. love love love love love.

I think its interesting to see how differently each variety grows, how its shaped, how it tastes and what it looks like inside. tomatoes are gorgeous.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I think I just bought beefsteak. But my zuchinni's are called Black Beauty, I got some Greek Dwarf basil, and some Sugar Ann snap peas. I also got some short fat carrots with a funny name but I forgot it.

Edit- forgot some words
  • Options
    Ladies, Thanks for the advice! H and I started the garden box this weekend and will likely finish today. I think I'm going to roto-till the spot where I'm going to put the garden box (I'm leaving the box open at the bottom, but need to build it up to mix in some better soil for planting) so I don't have to worry as much about the depth of the plants.

AIShannyn - keep me updated on your progress. It seems we're in the same boat! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards