Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Catholic ceremony preparation for long distance relationship

We got our orientation at our church and discovered that they don't have a protocol when preparing a long distance relationship couple (like us).  Now we have another appointment with the priest to talk about what to do. Has anyone been in this situation.

FYI what they told us is that the couple needs to have an interview every 2 weeks for a total of 11 interviews in order to be ready to get married.  We can't be there (or at least the both of us) every 2 weeks. 

Re: Catholic ceremony preparation for long distance relationship

• Have you thought of using Skype between the three of you?
    http://www.skype.com/

My DD, her FI and their pastor used this one weekend when they couldn't get together in the same city.
  • Not to be downer but I would also consider looking for alternate venues.  The church doesn't have to marry you and I do know long distance couples that had to find different churches because their choosen church just wouldn't work around their schedules.

• My FI and I are going through the same stuff right now. I am in Toronto, Ontario and he is in New York, NY. We had to take a pre can marriage course but the church said we could take it in either city. We opted for NY since my FI schedule is pretty crazy, so I went there for 2 weekends and we got it done. I would see if they can do something for several hours but only 1 or twice or I think that the phone idea is pretty good..

Good luck hang in there
  • Thanks for the replys!  I'll see if we could use Skype or something like it. We'll be meeting at church again tomorrow (he's in town this week, yay!) in hopes that we could find some other way to work around this.

We will move in together after the wedding, and we've thought of moving in before, the issue is that he doesn't have a job in my area yet and we would prefer (specially in this economy) for him to have a job before he moves here if he moves in before the wedding.  If by the wedding date he still doesn't have a job he'll probably do grad school full time. 

Thanks again.
  • ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2010
    We did our marriage prep while I was living in Dallas and he in Mexico.  We couldn't join any regular meetings, but we went to the Engaged Encounter, the NFP classes, and met with a deacon several times. 

DH flew in for the EE and NFP classes and we arranged our meetings with the deacon around when he'd be in town.  Luckily, he was able to come up about once a month, so it wasn't really that difficult.
  • I am in a long distance engagement too.  Our pastor just did all of the sessions in one day with breaks here and there. I don't know if this is an option because you seem to have more sessions then we did...

Good luck! Hope all is well : )
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards