Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Makeup trial

Hi ladies!  I could use some honest opinions.  I'm doing my own makeup for my June 24 wedding, and I just did a trial run.  The wedding will be at 7PM and my gown is pretty formal with cranberry red accents on the straps and neckline.  I'm wondering if the makeup I did is too much; I'm used to wearing glasses, but will wear contacts for the wedding, and my usual lip product is untinted chapstick.  I'm not sure if I'm just not used to seeing myself like this or if the lipstick is too bright, etc.  I mainly picked the lip color because the makeup lady said I could get away with it since it's an evening wedding.

Final look:

TIA!

Re: Makeup trial

• I think you look great.  I''m biased because I love bold lips on brides.  I think they look great in color, black and white, and sepia photos.  
  • A bold red lip can be hard to pull off.  I think it would be better it if you had more neutral tones in your eye color.  Like I'm seeing a pinkish or purple there and it doesn't go with the lip color to me.  However, I think if the eye colors were golds, browns, creams, etc. it would look great.  JMO.  Everything as far as the application goes looks great.

• Thanks!  The eyeshadow set is called "plum smokes" which I wouldn't have normally gone with, but it looked more neutral and brown in the store.  As soon as I swiped the applicator across it the first time, the brown turned purple.  :-/  Maybe I'll try a more brown/gold eyeshadow set with the red, and that could make me like it better?  I'm just not convinced that I'm one of the people that can pull off the bold lip.  :)
  • Great job. I plan on doing my own makeup too!

• I agree with this. Usually if you do a bold lip, you should do a more subtle eye. But the bold lip looks great on you! You are definitely one that can pull it off! 

Also maybe add a little bit more blush? Your cheeks are a little washed out in the picture. 

Otherwise, you look great! :)
  • Love the bold lip on you - I can't do that I look so silly. You look awesome!
  • Thanks!  You've all made me more confident about the bold lip, so I think I'll keep that and go more neutral on the eyeshadow and back off on the eyeliner.  :)  Also, I actually put a fair amount of blush on, but it seems to disappear on me.  Maybe I'll go out and get a brighter color and just use it sparingly.

On a side note, my cat just bit me in the face while I was holding her.  She's an evil little jerk.
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_makeup-trial-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:8f6f930c-39c4-4e0a-8db5-76488003ac27Post:e9976892-9ed5-47f4-b992-5eca517bd600">Re: Makeup trial</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks!  You've all made me more confident about the bold lip, so I think I'll keep that and go more neutral on the eyeshadow and back off on the eyeliner.  :)  Also, I actually put a fair amount of blush on, but it seems to disappear on me.  Maybe I'll go out and get a brighter color and just use it sparingly. On a side note, my cat just bit me in the face while I was holding her.  She's an evil little jerk.
    Posted by ekrayfie[/QUOTE]
    I would leave the eyeliner as it is.  I really like it.  When I looked at the photo again, I did see the purplish eyeshadow.  I would definitely change that.  I would do a champagne base with a medium brown accent.  What brand of blush are you wearing?  I had a hard time finding a blush that was pigmented enough.  Believe it or not, I found that the most pigmented drugstore blush was Cover Girl cheekers.  <div>
    </div><div>BTW, I don't think  you look washed out.  However, I don't think that the blush will show up in photos from a distance.  </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_makeup-trial-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:8f6f930c-39c4-4e0a-8db5-76488003ac27Post:b6aa4378-8174-4552-98db-a125b8b91b8b">Re: Makeup trial</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Makeup trial : I would leave the eyeliner as it is.  I really like it.  When I looked at the photo again, I did see the purplish eyeshadow.  I would definitely change that.  I would do a champagne base with a medium brown accent.  What brand of blush is it?  I had a hard time finding a blush that was pigmented enough.  Believe it or not, I found the most pigmented drugstore blush was Cover Girl cheekers.   BTW, I don't think  you look washed out.  However, I don't think that the blush will show up in photos from a distance.  
    Posted by Goldlie11[/QUOTE]

It was Cover Girl classic color in soft mink.  It's probably more of an everyday type of color for me, although I don't bother with blush usually.  I'll look for the other Cover Girl kind; I always have coupons for them!  I'll definitely change the eyeshadow, and I'll think about the eyeliner.  I'm thinking that with the neutral eyeshadow, it might be toned down enough to keep the eyeliner the same.

I really appreciate all of the feedback.  FI is useless for this sort of thing.  A conversation we had earlier:

Me: "Should I go with a more brown eyeshadow?"
    FI: "Honestly?"
    Me: "Yes."
    FI: *shrugs*

It's like, why did you ask "honestly?" if you had no opinion anyway?  Silly boy.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_makeup-trial-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:8f6f930c-39c4-4e0a-8db5-76488003ac27Post:b6aa4378-8174-4552-98db-a125b8b91b8b">Re: Makeup trial</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Makeup trial :<strong> I would leave the eyeliner as it is.</strong>  I really like it.  When I looked at the photo again, I did see the purplish eyeshadow.  I would definitely change that. <strong> I would do a champagne base with a medium brown accent.</strong>  What brand of blush are you wearing?  I had a hard time finding a blush that was pigmented enough.  Believe it or not, I found that the most pigmented drugstore blush was Cover Girl cheekers.   BTW, I don't think  you look washed out.  However, I don't think that the blush will show up in photos from a distance.  
    Posted by Goldlie11[/QUOTE]

ITA with thiis.  And I would would worry more about how you look in person than in a pic from a point and shoot camera-it's not going to capture everything.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_makeup-trial-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:8f6f930c-39c4-4e0a-8db5-76488003ac27Post:04e152a2-364f-4632-a496-4db1838b12d0">Re: Makeup trial</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Makeup trial : ITA with thiis.  And I would would worry more about how you look in person than in a pic from a point and shoot camera-it's not going to capture everything.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

Ok, I think I have a better idea of what I'll go with.  I think the flash brightened the lip color, so I agree with you there.  Thanks so much!
  • WOW your eyeliner is gorgeous! You can totally pull off the lips, if that's what you want to do. Will you need to carry around lipstick for touch-ups then? I hope to get away with simple gloss so there won't be a big discrepancy with photos and I won't have to apply lipstick
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_makeup-trial-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:8f6f930c-39c4-4e0a-8db5-76488003ac27Post:7013bb4a-4905-4c7f-81be-46ecc1c59979">Re: Makeup trial</a>:
    [QUOTE]WOW your eyeliner is gorgeous! You can totally pull off the lips, if that's what you want to do. Will you need to carry around lipstick for touch-ups then? I hope to get away with simple gloss so there won't be a big discrepancy with photos and I won't have to apply lipstick
    Posted by Car&Ry[/QUOTE]

Thanks!  I usually wear eyeliner (just on top for everyday) so I have lots of practice applying it.  :)  I got the lipstick at Sephora (Sephora brand) and it seems to last pretty well.  I'll carry it with me and probably touch up after dinner, but otherwise I think it should be good.  It doesn't feel disgusting either which I've had a problem with for other "longwear" lip colors.  I also used lipliner under it, and it was still looking about the same a couple of hours later (but I didn't eat).
  • I agree with some of the others. If you are going to do a bold lip, I would tone down the eye color. Personally though, I think that your eye makeup looks stunning, the color makes your eyes pop. This being said, I think you should keep the eye makeup and do a neutral lip. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_makeup-trial-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:8f6f930c-39c4-4e0a-8db5-76488003ac27Post:c9f0b734-8fbd-4d06-9b64-15028fbd458e">Re: Makeup trial</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with some of the others. If you are going to do a bold lip, I would tone down the eye color. Personally though, I think that your eye makeup looks stunning, the color makes your eyes pop. This being said, I think you should keep the eye makeup and do a neutral lip. :)
    Posted by smedina1027[/QUOTE]

Thanks!  I'll just have to play with both, but I'm more used to emphasizing my eyes, so the bold lip made me nervous.  It's nice to hear that I could go either way!  I'll probably be debating about it until a few days before the wedding, so I guess I better find a more neutral lip color just in case haha.  Either way, I don't want to end up looking like a clown!
  • I agree the application is great. I'd just go with a bronze eyeshadow instead of the purple. Here's what I use:
    MAC Vanilla (highlight)
    MAC All That Glitters (lid)
    MAC Bronze (corner/crease)

Sorry about the font...I cut and pasted. Anyway, do note that I'm a shimmer fiend when it comes to eyeshadows, but it gives you an idea of a nice color mix.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards