Pre-wedding Parties

Engagement Party Ideas

My mother is throwing us an engagement party and asked us to come up with a theme and games. We decided on a luau theme and are going to have fun grass skirts leis and coconut bras for the bridal party. We picked a few games we thought would be fun such as corn hole, pineapple bowling and limbo but we also need a few games as an ice breaker. Maybe a get to know you or a trivia type game to get people to talk and mingle. We are going to have a wide range of ages between family friends and the friends we have with young ones. Any suggestions?

On a side note, as we were drafting our list for the party I stumped myself. I recently moved departments at work and have become work friends with a few girls whom I have not yet hung out with outside of work on account of a super busy schedule. I want to invite them because I don't want them to feel left out for lack of better words. We are go into give away liquor bottles for prizes for winning games if that gives you an idea of our party type. Sooooo do I invite these girls or not? I know if I do they'd be guests at our wedding also which I'm fine with...... Hmmmmm help on both please

Re: Engagement Party Ideas

• AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally think that good food, good drinks, and good entertainment make for a great party.  Adults know how to interact with each other, even when they've never met before!  It's not essential for your fiance's Great Aunt Myrtle to become best friends with your grandmother - they will never have a reason to interact again.  Let people mingle with whom they choose and don't force them into silly games. 

That being said, having cornhole and a few other outside games set up so people can take advantage should they want to is nice. 
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Unless you know 100% that your WP would be comfortable wearing coconut bras and grass skirts, please don't do this.  I'd be mortified, and frankly, angry if you expected me to do such a thing.

I say you have the party and treat your guests like the adults they are.  They don't need games or icebreakers.  They know how to walk up to someone and say "Hi, I'm Trix.   So how do you know the bride or groom?"  Games and icebreakers are lame, and usually lead to awkward silences instead of mingling and chatting.

Oh, and I've been the MOB.  I'm perfectly capable of interacting appropriately with people who are in their 20's, 30's, 40's, and up.  Just because you have a wide age range, don't assume that people won't know how to act in a social setting.

Finally, if you do invite people to an e-party or any showers, it's incumbent on you to invite them to the wedding as well.  So choose your e-party list carefully.

Good luck.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards