Canada-Ontario
Options

Caligraphy

Hi ladies,

Do any of you know how to write Italic style calligraphy? How long did it take you to learn it? I was thinking of writing out the addresses for the outer envelopes in calligraphy but I'm just starting to learn so I am bit worried that I will screw it up.

I have about 75 envelopes that I would need to do. The other option is that I suppose I can get it done professionally but I just don't how much it cost to do that. I am doing my own invitations from a kit because I'm on a budget. 

any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: Caligraphy

• Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sort of... I started dabbling with calligraphy pens when I was a kid and I've learned a few basic fonts. It's far from professional quality but if you generally have pretty neat writing, it's pretty easy to make it look really spiffy with a calligraphy pen.

I think it's totally doable. Just don't worry about any specific font and try out your normal (neat) writing with a calligraphy pen.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did my invites with a calligraphy pen and I am in no ways a pro.  This is how they turned out (my writing is not very nice, normally):

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_caligraphy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:83ce1a9f-0283-44e2-90e5-1160b0561cabPost:5b35e6df-0a77-4004-90c6-0c5960b9aafb">Re: Caligraphy</a>:
    [QUOTE]I did my invites with a calligraphy pen and I am in no ways a pro.  This is how they turned out (my writing is not very nice, normally):
    Posted by Littlin[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>hey there,</div><div>
    </div><div>what size of nib pens did you use? I'm practicing on a c-4 because it is the thinnest one. Did you line the inside of the paper to prevent bleeding through the envelope?</div><div>
    </div><div>I think that looks nice. I rarely handwrite anything because I can't even read my own writing sometimes. So it is ok to handwrite addresses for invitations?

</div>
  • Options
    LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's nice to have your own writing if possible for a personal touch, but lots of people send them out to a calligrapher or ask a friend or family member to help - so not a big deal.  Some even do fancy address labels!  If it's going to stress you out, it's not worth it - there are bigger issues I'm sure.

I got the pen at Michael's, and it's a "Zig Calligraphy" in Pure Blue - with the fine tip being 2.0mm, and the thick tip being 5.0mm (double sided pen).  I used the thin one.  It says "non-bleeding", "acid free", etc - and I had no problems.  The envelope paper wasn't that thick (but thicker than a regular envelope) and it didn't bleed through at all.

I don't hand write, except my signature.  No worries with the writing.  I'm a teacher so supposedly I'm supposed to have neat "teacher writing" - not true here at least!  Good luck!
  • Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just watch what kind of pens you use.  My friend's invitations in the summer used water-soluble ink on sort of shiny envelopes and they were a mess. 

Sweaty hands made the ink run and she mailed them on a dry day but some never arrived - not sure if because of the ink or not.  I would test them out before you write them all out to make sure they don't run and use a permanent ink of some sort.
  • Options
    nmcarthurnmcarthur member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got a quote on calligraphy and it was outrageous. I am on a budget, and have hideous hand writing (damn computers..) so I found some really nice fonts online that I am using. I was after a very specific style and it took some hunting but found some great ones. It's going to save me a bundle!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_caligraphy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:613Discussion:83ce1a9f-0283-44e2-90e5-1160b0561cabPost:e9f43f04-0354-4d4a-9c16-74175f8aa7d0">Re: Caligraphy</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got a quote on calligraphy and it was outrageous. I am on a budget, and have hideous hand writing (damn computers..) so I found some really nice fonts online that I am using. I was after a very specific style and it took some hunting but found some great ones. It's going to save me a bundle!
    Posted by nmcarthur[/QUOTE]

are you writing them out then? would you be kind enough to show me the font that you are using?
  • Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Littlin, that looks really cute!  Now I want to try my own hand at it, even though my handwriting is terrrrrrible.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards