Michigan-Lansing

Prices for flowers

I just recently went to see the florist that my venue uses for all occassions, and she did an excellent job of listening to what we want, but the prices are crazy! We do want quite a few flowers, but is $2100 too much for flowers? We have my bouquet, 3 bridesmaids, groom and 5 groomsmen, 9 boutioneers/coursages for parents and others, and then 20 centerpieces for the reception. We are not doing any flowers for the church. Is $2100 too much? I'm really feeling like it is.

for flowers we are using bells of ireland, spider mums, a few roses, and calla lillies and some berries for my bouquet, the girls and the guys boutioneers. for the reception we are doing 'dinner plate' hydrangeas on some tables and on the other tables we are doing the curly willow branches.

Opinions and comments are more than welcome!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Prices for flowers

• emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That sounds about right.  Centerpieces really add up.  For my simple rose centerpiece (about 15 stems) it was going to be $55 each.

If you aren't happy with the quote, go back and try to tweak some things.  Or get a quote from a separate florist (if you are able to use another one.)
  • edited December 2011
    I'd recommend getting a second (or even a third quote) from another florist.  Ask for the same elements and see what the total price ends up being.  I found a big difference between my florist and another florist I went to see.  You can always edit your quote with the less-expensive florist, but it will give you an idea of whether or not the orginal price quote is fair.
  • gailpetegailpete member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    That sounds like a reasonable price, but as PPs have suggested, you may want to talk to another florist just to get a reality check.
  • kmwingluvrkmwingluvr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The kinds of flowers you are using could be making the price go up. Calla lilies are a little more expensive, whereas roses are actually pretty cheap. 

To me that's a crazy high number, but I have an extremely small budget for flowers, so I don't know what they traditionally run. We are also not doing flowers for centerpieces.

I would get a quote from someone else too, you might be able to find a better price.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lilred3632lilred3632 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks ladies! i was going to check a few other places locally, I just needed some other opinions too.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    That sounds about right, though I think it's ridiculous!  My florist is doing almost the same as yours (a few less centerpieces) for $700.  I think you should keep looking for a better price.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Here's a link to my florist:

http://linnaeafloraldesign.weebly.com/index.html

It's two sisters just starting out so they don't charge a lot for the assembly part.

Jaime
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards