Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Children's Activities

I'm thinking about putting together activity bags for the 8 children who are invited to our wedding. For those who are around 4-7 years old, I was going to include coloring books and small toys. However, we have a couple girls who are 8 and 10 years old and I'm not sure if  coloring books would be too "young" for them. Do you have any suggestions for what kinds of items I should include or do you think they are old enough to entertain themselves for the night?
Anniversary

Re: Children's Activities

• Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm thinking about putting together activity bags for the 8 children who are invited to our wedding. For those who are around 4-7 years old, I was going to include coloring books and small toys. However, we have a couple girls who are 8 and 10 years old and I'm not sure if  coloring books would be too "young" for them. Do you have any suggestions for what kinds of items I should include or do you think they are old enough to entertain themselves for the night?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    We had a 4yo, 6yo, and a toddler at our wedding.  We did not do anything special for them. They entertained themselves pretty well.  They interacted with the other guests and had a great time.

They should be ok just hanging out with everybody.  Give them cake and a shirley temple with extra cherries in a fancy glass and they will be fine
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • Options
    The vast majority of kids are NOT going to want to sit around and color at a party where there is free food, free sodas, music and dancing.  They're going to want to be doing what your other guests are doing.  So let them.

I frankly wouldn't bother with a coloring book, etc.  but if you must, go ahead.  I think it's a waste of time and $$, but it's your time and your $$.

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    One thing about the crayons and books that I forgot to tell you.  One of my friends got married and she provided crayons and books at her wedding for the kids.  One kid got "artistic" and colored all over the ivory table linens, the hard wood floors, and the white walls with his blue and red crayons.  While very artistic, the damage bill presented by the venue was not.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_childrens-activities?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:4fe7c941-fe2d-47f9-9271-7a150ac704b1Post:ed8106c6-6038-4e57-9f67-247f0a0b990a">Re: Children's Activities</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had a 4yo, 6yo, and a toddler at our wedding.  We did not do anything special for them. They entertained themselves pretty well.  They interacted with the other guests and had a great time. They should be ok just hanging out with everybody.  Give them cake and a shirley temple with extra cherries in a fancy glass and they will be fine
    Posted by vsgal[/QUOTE]

Good thinking..thanks for the input! I just thought it would be nice for the children, but I guess not.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    My ex-SIL did activity bags for the kids at her wedding, and most of them went unused as the kids were too busy crashing into everyone's kneecaps.  Hehehe.

But, if you want to provide something just in case they do get bored, maybe some puzzle books instead of coloring books?  They usually have age recommendations on them. 
    No, that's not my real name. And FH's name isn't Nun (as in Nun ya bidness) either.
  • Options
    I just got some little sticker books for favors for the kids. they can keep them entertained while waiting for dinner or they will enjoy them later at home. Also, I am thinking of packing a kid friendly little snack (gold fish crackers or something) but im not sure the venue will allow this... no outside food. :/
  • Options
    Also, sorry, in regards to the older girls I would still give them the same exact thing you give the other kids. They are at the age will they will pretend its too childish but would be very dissapointed on the inside if they didn't get one too. Just my opinion.... :)
  • Options
    what about a card games...such as UNO or Old Maid?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards