New York-New York City

Mikvah?

I'm not judging or saying doing so or not doing so mean anything (ie: one is more or less religious), just curious on your thoughts regarding dipping before the wedding.

I had thought about but decided that since I don't plan to make a regular practice of doing so, I'm not going to do it for the wedding.  While for some "sects" it's mandatory, and for others doing so has become really big, for many it's just not something to do.

My rabbi is really pushing this and I just don't want to do it.  My friend says that if he asks, I should just say I did it even though I didn't.  I'm not aware of getting any kind of certificate or anything, so would he really know?  I'd rather not lie but at the same time, I don't want to be pressured into doing something I simply don't want to do. 

Did any of you do this?  If so, were you told you had to do it for your wedding (my rabbi is kind of pushing this route) or did you do it for your own reasons?  Any help here?  TIA.

Re: Mikvah?

• edited December 2011
    I would think about putting this on the Jewish Weddings board.  Best of luck!
  • edited December 2011
    i agree with goldlie about posting it on the jewish weddings board. i am not religious and i don't want to weigh in on another's religious practice since the mikvah is such a personal thing. i know some women who find the ritual spiritually cleansing and others who resent the implication that women are somehow unclean. it's up to you what you want to do!
  • alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    #1 I don't think you should lie to your rabbi

#2 there's a million different ways to perform the mikvah. I think you can find a way to do it that you're comfortable with. I am in the middle of reading The New Jewish Wedding, Revised which has a really interesting chapter on different interpretations of mikvahs. I highly recommend popping into a bookstore to read it if you have a moment!

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I didn't personally do it but I kind of wish I had.  Everyone I know who has done it has liked it.  You might be able to just go into a natural body of water (ocean, lake, etc) if that makes you feel more comfortable than an official mikvah.
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry ladies, this wasn't supposed to be here.

I was wondering what happened to this?  I had to windows open and even though I was on the Jewish board, it posted here.  I don't think there's a way to "move" it; I'll reconsider if I repost.

I don't plan on doing it, I just don't have the time or desire to.  And I'm just never happy when I have to do something because someone makes me do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards