Asian Weddings
Options

help! am marring into a Vietnamese family and looking for ceremony ideas

what are some ways i can make his family feel more comfortble? are their any traditions i can weave in or anything? some of the family coming dont speak english also...
(posted this on a few boards forgive my ignorance of locale)
Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: help! am marring into a Vietnamese family and looking for ceremony ideas

• Options
    edited December 2011

My FI is Cuban and I'm Vietnamese. We are having a destination wedding, so we aren't going to do the traditional procession to/from the bride's house and just have a simple ceremony. My mom past away, so the main part that I will include at the ceremony is an ancestor altar where you burn incense sticks and bow for permission and blessings. We are also going to have a candle ceremony, which some vietnamese families do, but this is more so because my FI wants to have it.

Have you asked him or his family what traditions they would like to incorporate?  You could also do something with just his family and yours before the actual ceremony - like a tea ceremony.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    see the family is coming from vietnam and ive not really met them...fi basicly says whatever i plan will work...i like the tea ceramony idea
  • Options
    mrsR12mrsR12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Would you be able to incorporate the traditional Ao Dai to your wedding? 
    I'm Vietnamese, my FI isn't.  So we're having the traditional Vietnamese ceremony (a quick one) where we both will be wearing Ao Dai at my parent's house the weekend before the actual wedding.  We'll be in front of my family's alter, do the incense and ask for blessings.  See if that's something you can do.  
    We will be doing a traditional church then reception the weekend after.  

With his family coming from Vietnam, they can definitely bring you guys the Ao Dai.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    that may be an option
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards