Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Dessert Reception - What would you want to eat?

Hi everyone!
I'm having an afternoon dessert reception (starting time around 1:30-2). There will be no ceremony beforehand as we are eloping (this is a 'we're back let's celebrate' party!)
So basically I'm in the process of creating a list of goodies!
So far I have the following:
cupcakes
cake pops
mini pies
brownie bites
cheese cake bites
chocolate chip cookies
oatmeal raison cookies
Full candy bar
chocolate fondu w/variety of fruit

now I've come up with the obvious ideas....

I would like some more creative ones if anyone has any! note it has to be easy to make, and will not melt. Also, nothing warm as  we won't be able to keep it that way!

Any ideas welcome!

Re: Dessert Reception - What would you want to eat?

• Options
    What about...

assorted pastries, petit fours, mousse partaits, fruit tarts, fancy cookies, chocolate truffles, etc.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I think what you have sounds good. We did fruit and chocolate fondue instead of having a cake, and it was a big hit:-)  Kind of messy though, especially if you are having children...

Maybe you could do a smores station?  
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    Fudge, puppy chow, almond brittle, maybe some sweet breads (banana bread, pumpkin, coconut, cranberry)
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I would also have some non-desserts for people that need a break or don't eat sweets.  Maybe cheese and crackers and veggies and dip.  I realize you'll have fruit for the fondue already.
  • Options
    There should also be some non sweet options like cheese and crackers.  Not everyone eats/ can eat sweets.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Cheese & crackers & veggies were already on my list :-)

I'm just lookigng for dessert ideas!
    so far I like what you've suggested!

Thank goodness for Costco, that place is going to save me a lot of money!

• Options
    I know this wasn't your question, but I'd start at 2:30 or 3.  I would definetly expect lunch at 1:30.
  • Options
    while that sounds great i'm not a big sweets eater. i'd have about 2 and be done. can you add some fresh fruit/veggies/sorbet to the mix? i realize it's a wedding but i still dont want to blow out my weeks worth of calories in one 2 hour span :)

chocolate fondue does have to be kept warm--just so you know.  but you could easily do chocolate covered strawberries in it's place.

• Options
    Sounds fun!  You could add mini cream puffs or eclairs (you can buy them frozen at Walmart or Sams and I'm sure Costco would have them) ... delicious on their own and f-a-bu-l-o-u-s dipped in chocolate fondue. Wink

You might want to add some nuts, too (I love the combination of salty and sweet):  there are nice nut mixes and one company (Fisher, I think) makes cocoa-dusted and cinnamon-dusted almonds which are very tasty.

Other thoughts FWIW:  mini popcorn balls, baby whoopie pies, coconut macaroons and/or peanut butter cookies (both are also amazing in fondue), fancy shaped butter cookies
  • Options
    Tiramisu and macaroons! That's what we are having at our dessert table :)
    Trying to conceive #1 since January 2013
    My Ovulation Chart
  • Options
    Me, I've always liked finger pastries because there are so many possible types (brownies, mini-cheesecakes, lemon or lime squares, cookies) that you can have something for just about everyone.

I do think that having fruit, sugar-free, dairy-free, and gluten-free options are a good idea as well.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dessert-reception-what-would-you-want-to-eat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:055931e7-14fd-48ad-98ab-a19202df11f4Post:3da53abd-2f0e-4ddb-a56a-7895642fce04">Re: Dessert Reception - What would you want to eat?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know this wasn't your question, but I'd start at 2:30 or 3.  I would definetly expect lunch at 1:30.
    Posted by MrsGandthebeag[/QUOTE]

You'd expect lunch at 1:30?  Really?  Would you expect dinner at 8:30?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dessert-reception-what-would-you-want-to-eat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:055931e7-14fd-48ad-98ab-a19202df11f4Post:688e75d7-ee70-48d1-820e-5bf96a923f9b">Re: Dessert Reception - What would you want to eat?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dessert Reception - What would you want to eat? : You'd expect lunch at 1:30?  Really?  Would you expect dinner at 8:30?
    Posted by gurrlballa10[/QUOTE]

i would. most of the receptions by me start at 7 or 8 then there's the cocktail hour so dinner doesnt even really begin until 8 or 9. that's normal. and yes-i think at 130 i would expect lunch especially if the ceremony started at 12, 1230.

• Options
    Thanks for all the ideas girls! 

Just to clairfy for some, there is no ceremony: this is just a reception when we get back (eloping), so people will not be expecting a 'meal' as it will be properly indicated on the invite and our website.

Pretty much everyone coming LOVES sweets, so I won't have an issue there! lol . I will have the cheese and crackers to break up the sweetness just in case! I also don't have anyone in the family with special diatary requirements (except one that I am already planning for), so it makes things A LOT easier for me!

Again, thanks again for all the input!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards