Catholic Weddings
Options

Prelude Music - how long?

Hi Everyone,

After consulting with the music director at my church, it appears they will only do a 5 minute prelude.  Does this sound right?  I always thought the prelude started 20-30 minutes before the ceremony starts!  I feel like it's going to seem odd to not have any music playing before the guests arrive.  Any thoughts?  I am using the church organist and hiring a trumpet player...

Re: Prelude Music - how long?

• Options
    I'm not certain what you mean "it appears" that they'll only play prelude music for 5 minutes.  Were you told the prelude would only be 5 minutes?  TBH, I have no idea what or how long the prelude music was.  No one mentioned it so I guess no one noticed.
    Anniversary

• Options
    We had four Prelude songs, so it was probably about 15 mins.  If you're using the church organist, 5 mins. may be all they'll provide for the set fee.  I would think they would willing to discuss a longer prelude if you compensate them for the additional preparation and rehearsal time involved.  When you hired the trumpet player, you should have discussed what their fee covers, including when they'd arrive and start playing, so you should check with him/her to make sure everyone is on the same page.  Best wishes!
    "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!" (Isaiah 43:1)
  • Options
    It does seem a bit short to me. When I play weddings, I usually just start the prelude music when there is a significant amount of people in the pews- about 15-20 minutes before. I have had the rare occasion where it was a gorgeous day outside, and so no one wanted to come into the church until the last minute, so I didn't play much then.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I don't know if it's weird just because it's a wedding or not.  There's usually very little prelude music (if any) before a normal mass.

I guess I don't see it as a big deal, but I agree, the musicians may be willing to work longer for more compensation.

SaveSave
  • Options
     The church provides the organist, and the trumpet player is hired by the music coordinator at the church, and when he told me that they only do 5 minutes of prelude music, he never mentioned the option of hiring them to do an extended prelude.  I'll have to check with him...although it sounds ilke even if I don't, it shouldn't be too strange to have such a short prelude.
    Thanks everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards