Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Buying multiple small items instead of one larger one

Let me preface by saying that I'm very grateful for the gifts we've gotten, and in fact prefer a lot of our smaller items to some of the larger ones.  But it's driving me crazy because I feel like I'm running out of some of the less expensive registry options.

I'm curious.  When giving, I prefer to give one larger gift, rather than a bunch of smaller ones.  How about you all?

If you've given a bunch of smaller items instead of a single, larger gift, why was it?  Nothing in your preferred price range?  Nothing in that range that you WANTED to give?

Re: Buying multiple small items instead of one larger one

• Options
    I tend to buy a bunch of smaller priced things because it can look like "more" for the money, and I enjoy wrapping them up in cute ways.  I do realize that the bride/groom/maybe parents will know how much I spent by what I give, but for showers and things the other guests probably won't.  Even for wedding presents themselves, I like to get the thing that looks like the largest/nicest/most bang for my buck.  So this might mean getting all of the bakeware instead of the one blender.

I also buy smaller gifts when I think, "Do you really need a $100 blender??"  I'm not doubting the need for a blender in general, just the $100 one.  I won't go off registry, so I won't buy a $40 blender instead of the $100 one if the more expensive one is what the bride/groom want.  I'll fill out the registry with other, smaller items instead.  I see where the bride/groom are coming from if they want expensive appliances... I  find myself lusting after them too.  But as a guest, I KNOW that a decent blender that should last a few years costs $40, a cheap one costs $25, and I don't want other guests around me thinking I was cheap if that's what I give at the shower.  I also feel like small appliances should be semi-disposable anyway (except the kitchenaid... my mother's is 30 years old and still going strong!), because you never know when a blade will snap, or a wire will short out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I forgot to say that I also have this really weird aversion to buying anything that's part of a set (except for china), unless I know my contribution will complete the set.  I'll never be the person to start buying from a set.  I guess I sort of worry that if they don't get a complete set, then my gift won't be used.  Logically I know that's not true, but it's how I react anyway. That's another reason I tend to go for smaller tag items because I can buy the entire set myself or else I can select things that aren't part of a set but that are thematically similar (ie: all kitchen, bath, bedroom, etc.).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If I can buy a larger gift, I will. If there is nothing left in that price range, I will get create a "basket" of smaller gifts. It all depends on who the person is as well, but usually it will be a larger gift if that is an option. Hopefeully, when it gets closer to your wedding the larger gifts will start going as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I guess I don't understand what you would expect with smaller gifts? I would think that instead of just buying a $4 wooden spoon and calling it a day, most people would at least get you a few other things too.  I don't really see any other fate for the smaller items but to be bought together and $20 of smaller items is still a hell of a lot cheaper than a Kitchenaid (or whatever). I mean, I wouldn't want to just buy someone one small thing. That's just me, though.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Hawaii with my best friend =)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_buying-multiple-small-items-instead-of-one-larger-one?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:93c11f89-4699-4585-9c6d-a58ec82022f2Post:54427601-73f6-4f3c-b8d1-ce000a776274">Re: Buying multiple small items instead of one larger one</a>:
    [QUOTE]I guess I don't understand what you would expect with smaller gifts? I would think that instead of just buying a $4 wooden spoon and calling it a day, most people would at least get you a few other things too.  I don't really see any other fate for the smaller items but to be bought together and $20 of smaller items is still a hell of a lot cheaper than a Kitchenaid (or whatever). I mean, I wouldn't want to just buy someone one small thing. That's just me, though.
    Posted by Manwaithiel[/QUOTE]

I'm not talking about wooden spoons; maybe I should have been more specific.  I'm talking about, say, buying a couple of $20 to $30 pieces, instead of just one thing for $50 or $60 (or, in the cases of things I've gotten, even pricier items).

I put some of our serveware, in the $30 to $50 range on, thinking each piece would make for a good single shower gift, depending on people's budgets.  But I've had people combine multiples of these items, spending a good amount of money (for which, as I've said, I'm extremely grateful) instead of just buying one larger item.

That's all.  I'd totally expect the little utensils to be combined with other things.  I guess it's more the mid-range items.  Just curious what others do.
  • Options
    I usually just buy one mid range item. But that's my budget. It's not necessarily everyone else's. I guess your circle has more gifting money to spend. That's the only conclusion I can come up with.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Hawaii with my best friend =)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I'll buy a few smaller priced items, if that's the only way to fit it into my budget.

For example, let's say I was willing to spend $150 but there isn't a "larger gift" that costs that. In that case, I'd buy a few smaller gifts that would equal my budget amount (whatever number that may be).
  • Options
    I usually buy are mid-range priced gift for showers, like in the $30-40 range. If there's nothing in that range left, I'll spring for a more expensive item rather than putting together smaller items.
  • Options

I can see why people would do that. For instance, buying say, 6 soup bowls, instead of 1 serving plate, feels like a larger gift, even though they cost the same. Or buying all the bakeware and accessories feels like a bigger present than just the handmixer. You know? Plus, like PP, sometimes I feel like the couple doesn't NEED that high end *insert small appliance*. It's not to me to judge, but at the same time, I feel like I'd rather use my gift dollars on something I would like to imagine them using, you know?

And then sometimes it's just the things that are the price I want to spend aren't that interesting-- like, I want to spend $50 and your towels are 50, but eh, towels, boring.

All that said, now that I'm married and got all my wonderful registry stuff, I realize I much wanted the boring things like place settings so I'm a lot less picky and more practical when I buy from a registry.

• Options
    It depends on when I go shopping.  If I go and there is plenty to pick from on the registry, I usually pick one item in the $40-50 price range.  If things are picked over, I usually do a collection of smaller things. 

Sometimes though I like to buy a certain gift off the registry for certain people.  For example, friends of ours that we camp with registered for some camp items, so I bought that.  

And sometimes I like to buy several small items, and put them in a nice basket, tupperware bowl, or even a laundry basket since people rarely register for those but can often always use them.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_buying-multiple-small-items-instead-of-one-larger-one?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:93c11f89-4699-4585-9c6d-a58ec82022f2Post:0fcc3e0e-1b44-4a41-ae12-40aacc3c9eae">Buying multiple small items instead of one larger one</a>:
    [QUOTE]Let me preface by saying that I'm very grateful for the gifts we've gotten, and in fact prefer a lot of our smaller items to some of the larger ones.  But it's driving me crazy because I feel like I'm running out of some of the less expensive registry options. I'm curious.  When giving, I prefer to give one larger gift, rather than a bunch of smaller ones.  How about you all? If you've given a bunch of smaller items instead of a single, larger gift, why was it?  Nothing in your preferred price range?  <strong>Nothing in that range that you WANTED to give?</strong>
    Posted by hlq2011[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Yeah, I just didn't want to give them X or Y so I went with A, B, C, and D that were all somewhat related and seemed more like everyday items than something that would be used once a year or whatever</div>
  • Options
    I typically buy more smaller items than one large one but it depends what the larger items are.  I like finding unique ways to wrap the gifts.  At the same time, I try to figure out what the couple would want most.  It only works if I really know the couple well, which isn't always the case.  I usually start by setting a budget saying I'm spending X amount.  If I buy one gift, I stick as close to that as possible.  I've noticed (in retrospect) that when I buy smaller items, I actually end up spending $5-$10 more than I would have because I try to get things that go together (not a set, just that make sense).  It's also nice to be able to buy multiple things off a registry vs. just one--feels like you take care of more, even though pricewise it ends up being about the same ;-)
  • Options
    It's weird, but I buy several smaller items rather than one big item because I find it satisfying to see lots of items marked "complete" on the registry.
    I just got engaged two months ago and am starting to get gifts myself. I think my experience as the recepient will change my future giving habbits. For example, I think instead of buying the fun stuff off of a registry I'm going to go for the boring stuff that will actually be used.

• Options

FI & I like to look at the registry and figure out what it is I want us to give w/o looking at the price.  Once I find the gift that I really want to give that couple I look at the price and will go to FI and ask him how much he's willing to spend on the particular couple.  I then show FI what item I really want to give; if it's in his budget then we do that.  But before we fully decide on that I'll look at the registry w/FI & that's when I pick 2 or 3 smaller items that go together that I consider a 2nd option to give in lieu of the one item and will either cost about the same as the one item or maybe even less.  I of course always ask FI after looking at the registry together whether there was anything he'd prefer to give instead of my choices (& typically he agree's with mine) and if so we go from there.  We don't really have a set price range we give everyone, we just pick what we want to give & if that's to much we'll find another option that's cheaper (but on the registry).

I've never understood the mentaility of buying something not on the registry which I've seen happen everytime.  Now that it's our turn I'm hoping everyone sticks to the registry but I kind of doubt it.

I read a few people say they don't like to give something the couple doesn't NEED but in my opinion (at least with our registry & lifestyle) no one NEEDS anything on their registry.  We've been together 6 yrs. & have everything we need to survive but that didn't stop us from putting cookware on our registry because the cookware we have is really cheap because at the time we didn't have money to spend on something nice.  We don't need china but it's on our registry because we do hope to host Thanksgiving & Christmas dinners once we have a house, but we could just use a everday dinnerware for that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards