Connecticut
Options

Bridal Salon vs. DB?

Admittedly, I know next to nothing about dress shopping, so bear with me.  I have a set budget in mind for a dress and am intimidated by the thought of going to a bridal salon and being overwhelmed by dresses out of my price range.  I've seen lots of styles I like on DB's site and am tempted to just go there.

What has been everyone's experience with bridal salons vs DB in terms of working with a budget?   

Re: Bridal Salon vs. DB?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to David's Bridal and 3 other salons. I tried on dresses at every salon in varying price ranges.  All the salons had dresses that started at $500 or so.  I hope that helps :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ajpufkyajpufky member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to DB, 2 salons and a consignment shop. If you are thinking of going to DB go during the week because the weekends tend to be a little crazy there, or go for the earliest appointment. I really enjoyed going to the salons because it tends to be a little more one on one service. I ordered my dress for a salon because it was my favorite place, very helpfu. Side note the consignment shop was a BLAST! They weren't very busy so I think I tried on half the dresses there, probably somewhere close to 30 or 40 dresses...I lost count after 10! Plus since we were all having so much fun the two ladies kept bringing more dresses that they had just got in just so they could see someone in them. It was fun and the prices there tend to be lower as well. Most of the dresses that I tried on had never been worn!
    Good luck finding "the one" Laughing
    Anniversarymy read shelf:
    Amanda P's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
     I think as long as you make it clear to the consultant you won't run into that problem. I tried on countless dresses (70+) at different bridal shops (including DB) and none of the consultants pulled dresses over my budget. The dress I fell in love with was way under my budget. Just make sure you take the alternation charge and tax into your budget consideration. Personally I feel DB dresses are cute but the materials they use are not worth whatever they are charging. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_bridal-salon-vs-db?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:da0b56a6-be9f-4b5f-9173-2e788a358145Post:b0708c23-a6d3-405d-bf90-1c9b21a9584e">Re: Bridal S alon vs. DB?</a>:
    [QUOTE] Personally I feel DB dresses are cute but the materials they use are not worth whatever they are charging. 
    Posted by christikao[/QUOTE]

I totally agree! I actually loved one of them, which I was surprised about, but it felt cheap to me. I bought mine at a salon as well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Team_22Team_22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to David's Bridal and found a gown I loved, which was actually a "David's Bridal" brand dress (and, btw, I don't think it looks or feels cheap).  They have designer dresses, too, that you would find at a salon.  I wish I had discussed budget with the associate first, but I ended up with a dress within my price range, although the higher end of it.  I noticed some of the other dresses I tried on were way out of my range, so I'm thinking if I had set the tone first I would have seen a lot more dresses within my price range.  I didn't plan for a huge dress budget anyways--I'm of the mindset that I'm only going to be wearing it for one day!  I also looked extensively at etsy which has unique gowns in all price ranges, but I was wary of selecting something I hadn't first tried on.  Good luck with the search!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    cgbabe229cgbabe229 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually had a horrible experience at DB when I went and I found I really enjoyed going to the salons much better.  When I went to DB, they were very pushy and just kept pulling dresses and weren't listening to what I liked or disliked about them.  They just pulled ones that they liked.  I tend to agree with the comment about the quality of them as well.  You are probably going to spend a little bit more if you go to certain salons, but I feel like it was soooo much more worth it.  When you try on a dress in the same day and have the 2 fresh in your memory to compare, you will def be able to tell the difference. 

Another plus with the salons is that most of them are owned by local people who really just want you to love your dress.  I found that most places that I went I really loved the consultant/owner because they really care about you and try to help you the most that they can. I actually went to Melissa Ashley Brides in Westerly, RI and all she tried to do was help me find THE one.  I had sort of already picked it out at another salon, but she was not pushy at all and I'm actually going back there for my BM dresses because they were just sooo nice there and had great prices.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    rubyredlucyrubyredlucy member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Both my sister and I had great experiences at DB and we both bought dresses under our budgets and that are of great quality.  I certainly tried on some dresses that were not of the best quality, but I am very happy with mine.  I got it for under $600, but when I wanted to try on dresses with a similar style at Mariella's, they were all at least $2000-$4000! 

It was nice to go to Mariella's, but I didn't find anything that I liked for under $1200, so I felt I had to raise my budget to even try on dresses I might like.  Even then I didn't find anything to beat my favorite at DB.

Go to DB first, on a weekday, and get recommendations for a good consultant beforehand.  If you don't find anything you like there, then go to the salons.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I started out, first time out going to DB--just to get an idea as to what styles I liked, material, etc. I personally had a great experience. I went to the Danbury DB, and the staff there was great! It gave me a great idea of things I like and didn't right away. I loved an Oleg Casini gown, and was very close to purchasing. I did want to shop around to some local bridal salons to see their variety.

In the end, I ended up ordering from a local bridal salon. I liked the more personalized attention and wider variety of designs. I think it depends on your personal taste and what you like best regarding service. I have heard some horror stories about DB and their service.

GL & HTH!!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Options
    julieandjojojulieandjojo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i got my dress @ DB, it was a good price and within my budget. Where I went over budget, however, was the veil and headpiece. I was caught up in loving the dress, and the consultant asked me did I want to put on a veil and headpiece to complete the look, so she got those for me and I absolutely loved how they looked so I decided to buy the dress, bra, slip, headpiece, and veil from them. When I got to the register it ended up costing $1,030 which was more than my budget. I realized that the headpiece had Swarvoski crystals and was like 100+ dollars, and the veil was $80. so my advice, at any salon *or* DB, is...buy the dress if it is in your budget and you love it. But think carefully about the headpiece, tiara, or veil b/c you can probably get those for a much lower price at another store or online. Just wait on the accessories, unlike me lol.
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My first dress shop experience was at a DB and it was good for the fact that I tried on a ton of different styles and walked out of their wanting a completely different style then what I walked in there thinking I had to have. I agree that the dresses materials look and feel cheaper, plus I didn't receive good service and the associate I had got on my mom and my nerves and was really pushy.

I then started going to other bridal salons. I went to Mariellas in Rocky Hill, Classic Brides by Eva in Stratford, and Something Blue Bridal in Southbury. Much better experiences at all of those shops and I'd recommend any of them. Much more attentive staff, and higher quality dresses. I ended up getting my gown at Something Blue Bridal for cheaper than a lot of the dresses I tried on at DB! Also, keep in mind that altertations at DB are ridiculous so if you get your dress there, go elsewhere for alterations.
  • Options
    JGallaJGalla member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much!  I am trying to simplify things as much as possible, so i want to stay in my general area, which is Glastonbury.  Which stores have you guys had the most luck in around here?  Everyone I know has gone to Mariella's, but I am afraid I won't be able to stay in my budget there - thoughts?

Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards