Military Brides

How to address w/ ranks

We've got a few couples who are both active duty military, and some that are split. How would you suggest addressing:

Married couple, both Captains (or any other rank)? My thought: Captains John & Jane Smith

Married couple, they both carried the rank of captain, but he recently split from service? (Is it the same as above? I'm not sure how to handle rank for military who are out of service. This husband got out (didn't retire), I'm assuming at least retired military continue to carry rank).

Unmarried couple, both LTs - MT: Lieutenant John Smith & Lieutenant Jane Jones

Also, I believe all rank should be spelled out fully, correct? As in not M SGT John Smith, but Master Sargeant John Smith?

Thanks for any input!

Re: How to address w/ ranks

• With the first one, I'd say Captain Jane Smith and Captain John Smith, same line. Ladies first. I guess you could say The Captains Smith, but I'd err on giving them equal attention. 

The second one, if you don't retire, you don't maintain your rank. I would say Captain Jane Smith and Mr. John Smith, same line.

Third - Lieutenant Jane Smith
               Lieutenant John White
       111 Main St. 
                Jacksonville, NC 11111

Fourth, yes. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_how-to-address-w-ranks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:43e62876-89a8-4584-abdc-01d921049713Post:1a65a045-8174-46d5-8436-283ff620a3da">Re: How to address w/ ranks</a>:
    [QUOTE]With the first one, I'd say Captain Jane Smith and Captain John Smith, same line. Ladies first. I guess you could say The Captains Smith, but I'd err on giving them equal attention.  The second one, if you don't retire, you don't maintain your rank. I would say Captain Jane Smith and Mr. John Smith, same line. Third - Lieutenant Jane Smith            Lieutenant John White    111 Main St.              Jacksonville, NC 11111 Fourth, yes. 
    Posted by WishIcouldbeinthe'stan[/QUOTE]

<div>Agreed.  The Captains Smith just feels weird.  </div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards