Pre-wedding Parties

Bridal Shower same month as wedding

My wonderful Maid of Honor is planning a shower for me, but she thinks that the best weekend to have it is labor day weekend, which is the first weekend in September and my wedding is September 22. My MOH is coming from Florida to Alabama (12-13 hour drive) to throw the shower. I am afraid that people will not attend the shower because it is so close to the wedding and on a holiday weekend and all the planning from afar and long trip here will be in vain for my MOH. What do yall think? The shower date can still be changed, and other bridesmaids and my Mother are more than happy to help her plan it if she needs it.

Re: Bridal Shower same month as wedding

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_bridal-shower-same-month-as-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:e0fb5024-d552-4fdd-b5d9-05b8107df2f9Post:7962f33d-805c-483b-bc1b-5874fad9c4d7">Bridal Shower same month as wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wonderful Maid of Honor is planning a shower for me, but she thinks that the best weekend to have it is labor day weekend, which is the first weekend in September and my wedding is September 22. My MOH is coming from Florida to Alabama (12-13 hour drive) to throw the shower. <strong>I am afraid that people will not attend the shower because it is so close to the wedding and on a holiday weekend</strong> and all the planning from afar and long trip here will be in vain for my MOH. What do yall think? The shower date can still be changed, and other bridesmaids and my Mother are more than happy to help her plan it if she needs it.
    Posted by DianaB312[/QUOTE]

I think it being on a holiday weekend would be the major issue.  TBH, I'm not a fan of holiday weekend weddings (unless it's a DW), so I would definitely skip a shower on a holiday weekend.  Aside from Labor Day being everyone's last hurrah of the summer, people are getting their kids back in school.  I personally think she should pick another weekend.
    Visit The Nest! image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Personally, I don't think its a big deal to have it that close to the wedding, but having it on a holiday weekend might not get you a big turnout with guests...  But our family's are big into camping that weekend so thats why i say that.
    159image 122image 37image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks ladies! I didn't even think about people getting kids ready for school! Most of the guests have children, so I am sure they will want time to get them ready for school and enjoy one last weekend before school is back in. Thanks again!
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2012
    The time frame isn't the issue for me as much as the holiday weekend is.  Sometimes that can work for families but other times you can have a conflict.  I'd prefer a holiday weekend wedding to a shower since that at least gets me together with my hubby.
  • Not sure about it being a holiday weekend (I woud think that would be great but you should know your potential guests and what they woudl think).  As for it being the same month as the wedding, I dont see that as an issue.  My BM is thinking of doing the shower the end of October, a month from my wedding date.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards