February 2013 Weddings

Anyone going on a honeymoon?

Hi ladies - everyone keeps asking me where my FI and I are going for our honeymoon.  Were are you going?

We can't decide between dealing with the cold and heading to Europe for a week to tour or picking a nice warm beach and doing absolutely nothing :)

Re: Anyone going on a honeymoon?

• Those are both great choices!  Originally we wanted to take a cruise to Europe and see as much of it as we can.  Since we ultimately decided on having a destination wedding our honeymoon will be a weddingmoon!  We will get married in and honeymoon on the beaches of Jamaica!  I LOVE the warm weather and FI wants to swim with dolphins so its a win win!  I definitely want to travel to Europe soon and have been keeping an eye out for super cheap deals on cruises this summer...sort of a prewedding moon if the price is right lol!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We're getting married on our third day in Mexico and then the rest of the week will be our honeymoon.  Europe will have to wait -- we're definitely warm-weather people!
  • As appealing as Europe sounds, my fiancé and I decided February wasn't the time for touring in the cold old countries... So Bahamas it is for the honeymoon! We'll probably buy last-minute tickets for an all-inclusive week in a resort, anywhere, we don't mind, as long as it is warm! :)
  • My fiance and I are actually going to take our honeymoon in April. We are leaning towards Disney World, but we may also go on a cruise in the caribbean. Either way, late April will be better for those so we avoid the people on spring break. We can't afford Europe right now, but some day we want to go back (we have both been to different parts in the past).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are just taking a weekend-moon after the wedding that weekend because I am still iin school and will have school Monday morning. My spring break is exactly a month from the wedding though so we are going to take our actual honeymoon then. The finace wanted to go to Spain but I am such a planner and just wanted to go somewhere and relax so we are renting a cabin in the smokey mountains and we are going to head out there for a week and just relax. We have been looking at cabins so we can start planning and we are so excited!!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsmtothekmrsmtothek member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2012
    We're actually just starting to discuss this today and we're thinking of Antigua or St. Lucia!  On a different note, I'm just finding out that apparently theres quite a bit of controversy around the idea of a honeymoon registry. This is what we had originally planned to do, along with another smaller wedding registry to accommodate more traditional folks. Seeing as how my fiance and I have been living together for 2 years, are paying for our wedding ourselves, and have more extreme living conditions than most (we live in the middle nowhere--no really.), we figured this was a no-brainer. But seriously, you should hear some of the backlash on the registry forums! After speaking to a lot of my friends I'm just going for it anyways, but I can't help feeling like I'm a bad person or "tacky" as most have deemed this tactic! How do you guys feel about this?
  • Yes!  I heard bad things about a honeymoon registry....BUT I am doing one as well lol.  I am in a similiar situation where me and the FI have been living together for 3 years already.  I wish I was allowed to make a registry when we initially moved in - now that would have been helpful. Currently, I have more towels, tableware, bedding, etc that I have room for in our small one bedroom condo.  

However, I am going to have a traditional registry as well for anyone who finds the honeymoon one "tacky" or "offensive".  But honestly, I just keep talking about it to my friends/family so I am hoping regardless of their opinions they will get us something we want rather then what they think is the proper gift.  

So on that note, I say go for it! 
  • We're looking into cross-country railroad trips, because FI was born in southern CA and hasn't been back since he was a kid, and I've never seen much of the US past the tri-state area.  A train trip is the perfect medium, we want to see the sights but NOT have to drive thousands of miles.  Then we'll spend a few days on a southern CA beach doing absolutely nothing!  Totally looking forward to it :D
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This sounds AMAZING!!!  I literally pictured my FI and I on a trip like this just by reading your post lol!  I've always wanted to do a cross country road trip...but a train trip sounds great!  No need to worry about driving and you both get to sleep at the same time lol!!  And to end it on the beach, perfect!  Will you fly back home from CA?

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_february-2013-weddings_anyone-going-on-a-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3a41aca6-a01d-4389-ae9d-4d0ec4c1d0faDiscussion:62ffd2ab-696e-43de-a848-6ab10ecdb36bPost:356a32bf-cb03-4fbb-badb-8cc4d7099e8d">Re: Anyone going on a honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're looking into cross-country railroad trips, because FI was born in southern CA and hasn't been back since he was a kid, and I've never seen much of the US past the tri-state area.  A train trip is the perfect medium, we want to see the sights but NOT have to drive thousands of miles.  Then we'll spend a few days on a southern CA beach doing absolutely nothing!  Totally looking forward to it :D
    Posted by AmoLovesAud[/QUOTE]
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • ideally we both want to go to greece and italy...but a week seems like too short of a trip to go over seas. I think we would enjoy it more if we had 2 weeks to spare (which we do not because of work....work! who works anyways? Smile). He really wanting to go to Cartagena in Colombia (but not for the same reasons the secret service agents went for lol). I'm, Colombian and hes been dying to visit the country so I'm all about it. My mom also has a vacation penthouse there so it would be sweet because we would have a private place to stay. I LOVE the idea of doing a cross country trip too, thats a fabulous idea "Amo"!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker imagekayak
  • We are going somewhere cold definitely! We're thinking maybe an Alaakan cruise or skiing somewhere. We won't be going right away since FH will still be in school until May. A weekend moon sounds nice though! Maybe we could plan something like that to tide us over :
    Best of luck to you and yours!

Feb 22, 2013
  • Ctrossello AHH you made me feel so much better LOL!! Glad to hear I'm not the only one! It just seems crazy to me that a traditional wedding registry is the *ONLY* way to go. Everyone is different and has different situations! :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_february-2013-weddings_anyone-going-on-a-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3a41aca6-a01d-4389-ae9d-4d0ec4c1d0faDiscussion:62ffd2ab-696e-43de-a848-6ab10ecdb36bPost:698e0dd5-2fab-4def-88ec-7ee8c03b4e5c">Re: Anyone going on a honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]This sounds AMAZING!!!  I literally pictured my FI and I on a trip like this just by reading your post lol!  I've always wanted to do a cross country road trip...but a train trip sounds great!  No need to worry about driving and you both get to sleep at the same time lol!!  And to end it on the beach, perfect!  Will you fly back home from CA? In Response to Re: Anyone going on a honeymoon? :
    Posted by Julyet06[/QUOTE]

It depends on how much vacation time he can get.  We'd actually like to take the train back home, too (FI's not the best flyer....), but since that will add a few days we might fly if we need to.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Fi and I are paying for most of the wedding ourselves and probably won't go on a honeymoon for awhile. Ideally, we'd like a cruise, visit Arizona (to see his uncle), or something outside of Michigan. But since I'll (hopefully) be working, and fi will be in school, we have no clue.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Feb13 Siggy Challenge
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_february-2013-weddings_anyone-going-on-a-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3a41aca6-a01d-4389-ae9d-4d0ec4c1d0faDiscussion:62ffd2ab-696e-43de-a848-6ab10ecdb36bPost:975eac09-a627-4739-a7d5-042ab855c769">Re: Anyone going on a honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]@ Ctrossello  AHH you made me feel so much better LOL!! Glad to hear I'm not the only one! It just seems crazy to me that a traditional wedding registry is the *ONLY* way to go. Everyone is different and has different situations! :)
    Posted by mckemowse[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>NP @<a style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:#ffffff;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;border-image:initial;font-size:12px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;font-family:Arial;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;" href="http://community.theknot.com/cs/ks/user/default.aspx?membershipid=9504605080532331&plckUserId=9504605080532331" target="_blank" class="username_knot">mckemowse</a> :)<div>
    </div><div>I have heard great things about St.Lucia - friend of mine honeymooned there and loved it!! Once we start booking things we will have to trade notes on how the honeymoon registry works - and all the awesome "gifts" we get haha.  Have fun planning!</div></div>
  • Ctrossello LOL!! I actually just set up my registry, we decided to go with Antigua. My dad is quite the caribbean expert and suggested Antigua was the better of the two. We decided to go with Sandals because everything is all-inclusive and very easy. They also have a honeymoon registry affliated with honeymoonwishes.com and I highly recommend it! Its great because people can see what resort we're going to and can purchase activities that the resort actually will apply to our trip. And no advanced booking is necessary! Woop :)
  • That is awesome!!  Today I was searching flights to Hawaii and I am definately getting the itch to book something ASAP. 
  • We haven't decided where to go yet... or if we are going to do a honeymoon registry. I think most of our guests would be okay with it, but my problem is all the sites I have found that do them take a percentage of the money! That hurts! Anyone found one that doesn't take anything? or takes as little possible?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards