New York-New York City

Manhattan Reception suggestions for 150 peeps?

So . . .  I thought 150 guests for a seated reception and dancing was a good number. How wrong i was. I was told its too big to be a small wedding and too small to be a big wedding in Manhattan. Cry I feel like the skinny fat kid. I looked at 13! different venues over 2 marathon days to not love any of them. Not that price doesn't matter but even in my dream world i thought there would be something i fell in love with and low and behold I felt blah about them all. (list below) My favorite was the Gramercy Park Hotel b/c of its character & location, but it is too small and does not allow for live music. I thought the Standard, the Ace or theGansevoort Park Ave would be perfect but again 150 for dinner with dancing is much too large. Any suggestions on a location that might work? Appreciate any and all thoughts!!! I am so lost . . . 

List we looked at:

Trump Soho (felt sterile and difficult to shuffle 150 guests into elevators for 1. ceremony, 2 cocktails and 3 reception)

Gustavino's

Tribeca Rooftop

583 Park (no alcohol allowed)

Ritz Battery Park (sterile)

Pierre Hotel (pricey)

Metropolitan Club ($$$$$)

Harmonie Club 

River Park Restaurant

Burden Kahn/Mansion (the band would have to be alone in a separate room leaving the doors open)

American museum history (their basic room, i.e. not an exhibit, felt like a high school gym)

Gramercy Park Hotel (too small and did not allow a band)

Mandarin Oriental ($$$$$)

Bowery Hotel (next to a meth clinic) Sealed

Re: Manhattan Reception suggestions for 150 peeps?

• Hudson Terrace
    central Park Boathouse
    Bryant park gRILL
    91 hORATIO
    Lighthouse at Chelsea piers
    3 west club (maybe it's too small but I like it)

Good Luck!!  This was the hardest part for me but after this everything fell into place. 
    weddingcake-1
  • And is your wedding really in october??
    weddingcake-1
  • You can also check out Bridgewaters, Metropolitan Pavilion, Millisime, The Park, Twenty Four Fifth, Gramercy Park Hotel, The Glass Houses, Manhattan Penthouse, Union Square Ballroom, Faculty House of Columbia University.  91 Horatio (suggested above) may be too small for 150.  I actually had my wedding there and it fit 100 guests perfectly with a dance area....it would probably be to tight with more than 100.  However, if you choose a blank space that allows outside catering I would highly recommend their caterer, The Upper Crust.  Good luck!
  • I wanted my wedding to be in october since i generally know what i like and didnt think there would be too much to consider but i still havent found "the" venue. I want something that has character that i can enhance instead of create from scratch but at this rate, next may is more likely :(
  • well what are you looking for exactly?
  • What about Angel Orensanz? You can't get more character than that.
  • NY Athletic Club is beautiful, and I *think* non-members can hold weddings there...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards